Port Hope Salmon?

KGTR312

Hey,

I've heard of large Salmon in Port Hope in a river flowing from Lake Ontario, I'm not sure what the river is called but it flows right through Port Hope. I have never fished Salmon, usually my choice of species are Muskies and Pike, well at least this year. I'm also not educated on Salmon behaviour.

Are Salmon legal to fish in rivers/streams this time of year? If so, would you guys be nice enough to share some advice and tips on catching this specie. What kinds of lures or rigs would be best suited in these conditions and season? The first thing that comes to mind is fly fishing, but could bait casters be used, or spinning reels on Muskie or Bass rods?

Thanks in advance, Fish on, Cheers.

Port hope falls in Zone 17, and Lake O falls in Zone 20, better off fishing the piers although they will be crowded, but at least you have a chance of catching a legitamate one, instead of a flossed one in the river, and that should make you prouder of your accomplisments at days end, flipping stcks with large capacity reels, are adequate, as well as the longer beefier spinning rods and 4000 series reels, 10 pound mono minimum, glow in the dark Cleos 3/4oz, Ping-a Ts if you can find them, canadian wigglers, Rapalas etc in brighter colours, will do the trick. The river will be loaded with campers, loogans, rednecks, asses, and white trash, and some Salmon, and rotting chinook carcasses in garbage cans, if you have a small boat, and fish off the river mouth thats even better, we use to troll Ping-a Ts off the rivermouths of Lake O tribs in a 14ft Sportspal canoe, when conditions allowed

Port hope falls in Zone 17, and Lake O falls in Zone 20, better off fishing the piers although they will be crowded, but at least you have a chance of catching a legitamate one, instead of a flossed one in the river, and that should make you prouder of your accomplisments at days end, flipping stcks with large capacity reels, are adequate, as well as the longer beefier spinning rods and 4000 series reels, 10 pound mono minimum, glow in the dark Cleos 3/4oz, Ping-a Ts if you can find them, canadian wigglers, Rapalas etc in brighter colours, will do the trick. The river will be loaded with campers, loogans, rednecks, asses, and white trash, and some Salmon, and rotting chinook carcasses in garbage cans, if you have a small boat, and fish off the river mouth thats even better, we use to troll Ping-a Ts off the rivermouths of Lake O tribs in a 14ft Sportspal canoe, when conditions allowed

Yes my mistake. Your talking about the the pier beside the mouth of Ganaraska River? Thanks for the advice. I'm curious, are Salmon in the river considered a easy catch?

(EDIT: If i'm not mistaken your referring to Pier Credit)

Edited by KGTR312

define "easy"

a person may know how to play the lottery ...and if he wins...it was easy...but if he doesnt win....well ...he knows how to play the lottery....ill garantee you wont catch any ...if you dont go to the river and find out...

edit to add...welcome to the forum

Edited by Twocoda

I just don't understand what you mean by flossed fish. I will take your advice and try my chances. I googled around I found this http://tinyurl.com/l6khwcs seems like the spot your talking about, pretty helpful guide to a novice like myself. Came across this video

(EDIT: Fixed the link)

Thank you, this forum is very helpful.

Edited by KGTR312

Troll'in.. troll'in.. troll'in on the river !

I would politely & respectfully suggest that trolling the river from a boat may have negative consequences. Pier & shoreline fishermen don't take too kindly to trollers who invade there territory ;)

I was also going to offer up a translation to the YouTube video...But based on their intent on what they were planning on doing with the fishies would not be suitable content here.

Edited by pikeslayer

But please do translate the video!

I could be wrong for Pikeslayers translation but if i was to guess he is probably making a reference to the condition of the fish held up on the stringer as not very palatable for table fare...but to each is there own i guess :dunno:

I could be wrong for Pikeslayers translation but if i was to guess he is probably making a reference to the condition of the fish held up on the stringer as not very palatable for table fare...but to each is there own i guess :dunno:

They're speaking Russian. I speak Russia also but I don't understand some of the words they're saying.

I will be heading down to Port Hope this weekend, I'll tell you guys how it went when I get back.

Edited by KGTR312

Just got back the other day from our adventure. We went to Port Hope and well there was a lot of fishermen, a ton. So not to interfere with the 'pro's we drove east to Cobourg to settle on a little stream where the Salmon was making it's run. It was amazing to see the Salmon swimming through a narrow shallow water way trying to make its way into the stream. I wish I could of filmed or took some pictures but my phone at that time was under 10%.

I wish I could say we caught lots of fish unfortunately that wasn't the case. We just weren't properly equipped. From not having the right rod to not knowing how to rig the roe. I later found out that the roe should be on the back of the hook instead of being buried in the roe. The way we rigged the rig was we had the mainline coming down to a #4 octopus hook with a roe bag and drop weights pinched about foot above the hook. We didn't use roe floats in our nets, we didn't know about them, so our roe was all was on the bottom.

On the other hand we had some bites, this is my first time fishing Salmon so I didn't know how the Salmon takes the bait. What we felt was nibbles, we managed to set the hook almost every other time but couldn't reel them in. I'm not sure if those nibbles were bites or the fishing swimming by the line and scrapping it, and us thinking it was a bite and trying to set the hook thus snagging the fish and it getting unhooked.

We're heading back this weekend and I want to be prepared this time and catch Salmon. If you guys have any advice or tips their all welcome.

We're heading back this weekend and I want to be prepared this time and catch Salmon. If you guys have any advice or tips their all welcome.

If you're fishing on bottom you are almost certainly NOT getting bit, those are fish running into the line. Use the floats and disperse split shot down from your float towards the bait, starting about 1-2 feet from the bait. On a side note the other day I tried some of that atlas plastic roe and it worked pretty well, landed one and had a bunch on that broke us off.

If you're fishing on bottom you are almost certainly NOT getting bit, those are fish running into the line. Use the floats and disperse split shot down from your float towards the bait, starting about 1-2 feet from the bait. On a side note the other day I tried some of that atlas plastic roe and it worked pretty well, landed one and had a bunch on that broke us off.

Yea that's what I thought. I talked to a few guys at my local fishing store and they told me the Salmon take the bait and it's noticeable. At the spot we fished there was more of a crowd at night and I noticed people using glow sticks on the tip of there rods. When the sun came up we saw anglers coming in with floats.

Yea that's what I thought. I talked to a few guys at my local fishing store and they told me the Salmon take the bait and it's noticeable. At the spot we fished there was more of a crowd at night and I noticed people using glow sticks on the tip of there rods. When the sun came up we saw anglers coming in with floats.

Most of those guys are bottom fishing, most of them probably snagging/flossing, trying to avoid any trouble by going at night.