truck bedliner on body panels nf

pike slayer

i have a 2000 gmc sonoma. along my rocker panels and around my fenders the paint is peeling off and there is now surface rust. i want to fix this but i dont want to dump a pile of money into it by going to a body shop.
i drive 8km of gravel road everyday and it really takes a beating. there is already rock guard on the bottom 4 inches and its all peeling. so i was thinking of rolling on some bedliner.
My wife thinks its going to look terrible and i think it'll look fine and possibly more durable then rock guard?
i've never really done any real body work on a vehicle before, i think i got a grasp on this. i was thinking of taking a wire wheel on my grinder and grind all the loose paint paint off and grind the surface rust off.scuff the clear coat with 80grit, spray rust inhibitor. then get a rust primer and spray it with that. then mask off and roll on the bed liner.
what does everyone think of that? stupid idea? anyone have any better ideas? and anything else that could be helpful would be great.

Edited by worm dangler

Plasti dip is too expensive for large areas as you need to do 4 coats.

Lots of pickup trucks in fort Mac are either half bedliner or full bedliner on all body panels. I have seen the whole truck painted in bedliner a few times. It works very well but adds some weight to the vehicle. IT is pretty common practice up there

I am planning to have the bottom of my b bumpers & panels

done in LineX. We have a friend who has a black pick up

he did this and it has stood up very well, looks good to.

My truck is silver so it should look good as well with all my black

trim and lights etc.

All though I'm not sure if you have a linex place up in the Sault.

My buddy has an s10 zr2 and the paint was flaking at the bottom of the fenders. His hadn't started rusting so before that happened he brought it to lined and had them lined the bottom if the truck to the body line a of ten inches up. I think it looks really good would consider doing it myself if I ever had a problem. His truck is white and the lines is black so it looks good.

Just make sure the coating you consider isnt brittle when cured like Rhino...your cheapest route is to mask off and shoot on a rubberized rocker guard...if you dont top coat it ...touch ups will be cheap and simple as needed...

Edited by Twocoda

I used rocker panel coating (rubberized, similar to bedliner but more flexible) on my plastic bumpers and lower door cladding.

I top coated it in a satin black bumper coating for UV resistance. This is what a buddy that owns an auto body shop suggested for my application.