Evinrude etec for trolling

Dr. Hook

Just sold my 2 stroke 60 hp off my 16 foot Starcraft and looking to buy a motor. I know that for trolling 4 stroke is king, but how does the etec compare? Just wondering where it would sit between my old 2 smoke and a carburated 4 stroke.

If anybody has experience with the 2 cylinder etecs your input would be helpful

The etec has certain advantages that seem attractive to me

I've got the 115 etec and it trolls marvelously. Quiet, vibration free and purrs like a tiger. Anywhere from about 1.5 for lakers and walleye up to 6mph for muskie. Gas consumption is awesome, I also have a merc 9.9 l ro kicker and its hard to tell which burns less while trolling. The etec is definitely quieter though. I use the 9.9 to keep the hours from piling up on the big motor.

The etec is also smoke and smell free. In my opinion it is ideally suited for trolling.

I can't help you with the 2 cyl ETEC but I'll offer my opinion with regard to my 150.

I've had it since April last year and I just put a kicker Yamaha T9.9 on last week. The kicker was going to be one of my priorities until I realized how nice the ETEC trolls. And I'm not talking a little bit.... logged 200 hours & nearly 700 miles (don't bother doing the average speed math because it's only calculated at a specified speed threshold). Anybody that fishes with me can attest that I do a lot of trolling vs casting.

I put the kicker purchase on the back burner until I found the right deal.

The kicker excels at ultra low trolling speed (1-2mph) but anything above that the ETEC is smoother, quieter and odourless unless you have a stiff wind at your back. The smell is no more offensive in that case than the Yamaha, just a different smell.

I've trolled non-stop for 6-8 hours on the ETEC, pinned the throttle and been pinned to the seat. No burp, fart or hesitation.

I like the thought of having the kicker to keep hours off the big motor and I suppose it will save fuel but that's not a big concern. I can only imagine that trolling can't be beneficial on a motor this size but I've yet to see any evidence of it.

The best part about putting the kicker on was my top speed increased by 1.5mph.... and NO, I DIDN'T HAVE BOTH MOTORS WIDE OPEN! I think my boat likes the weight in the back... 5 batteries + main + kicker. I wonder if I could squeeze a little more speed by adding another kicker?

I should also add that I'm not an ETEC fanboy. I bought my boat below dealer cost and options weren't an option. My first choice would have been an F175 or F200 Yamaha but I have no regrets or hesitation in recommending an ETEC based on my experience so far.

thats a big motor for 2 cylinders wouldn't it have potential to be lumpy at low speeds? I would also compare weight difference between that size of motor not sure if it's a big advantage with etec

On a 4 stroke, yes. On a 2 stroke, no.

If I was doing a lot of trolling a big 2-stroke would be my last choice. If you're doing that much trolling, get a kicker and save the wear and tear on the big mill.

The ETEC and other direct injection 2 strokes are a different breed. I've trolled with an Optimax and have been very impressed and I would imagine the HPDI Yamaha wouldn't be any different.Two stroke DI vs Four stroke is a non-issue and both would benefit from a kicker to save hours on the main motor.

I troll with my 50hp Yamaha four stroke for hundreds of hours and it's awesome !!! I also have a RPM switch to change the rpm of the motor plus or minus 50 to a max of 200rpm !!!! Mine is fuel injected and not an issue at all !!!! And I do lots of trolling !!!!!!!change plugs every 2 seasons and great to go !!!!!! Go four stroke for trolling for both main motor and kicker