safe height - skeg above road?

scugpg

I currently don't use a transom saver on my small outboard and the skeg sits 7 inches above the road when in transit. am I cutting it close? Will likely raise the motor and or get a transom saver in the near future but wondering if I should be ok in the meantime?

Thanks

I would definitely raise your motor. Although the 7 inches may be good on flat ground, if you enter/exit a parking lot at any time you may end up dragging it on the ground. The same could happen if you come to any speed bumps.

Is what I do as well FT... I tilt my kicker up a bit on the hydraulic and then ratchet strap it to the back of the trailer to stop the bounce during the tow. Be cautious and note that "transom savers" relocate the movement and forces to the engine hinge and it you slam on the brakes and the boat moves forward at all it will also push your motor up as well.

Good advise on speed bumps and going into parking lots... all stuff you have to think about before you do them, not different than towing an RV trailer or driving a motorhome. The only place I saw a 7" Plus speed bump though was the 16" wedges in St. Marteen and they sure were fun in the jeep!! (as long as you made it from one to the other in the air)