Pigeon Lake question

Locnar

I've been coming here for a week every year for the last 14 years or so with the family. Generally fishing is quite good, plenty of pan fish for entertainment while the fishing is slow. Lots of big largies and smallies, generally. However this year, it seems like the panfish are nearly gone... and in their place is tons of small largies and smallies. I mean, I'm not really complaining, because they do put up a better fight... but nothing over 1.5lbs. Any ideas as to what's up with the change? I even went looking for bluegills and pumpkinseeds, caught a couple but again, mostly small bass. No big bass either, I've tried all my go-to spots and tossed practically everything I have at em. Any tips? The fish are acting very strange on this lake this year...

I did however, have a very interesting experience. I had hooked into a small perch. and as I was reeling the bugger in... about 5 ft from the boat... SMASH! MUSKIE!!!!! I estimate it at about 3.5 to 4ft. And of course, it was on my 4.5ft ultra light... Fought with her, well more like holding on for dear life... for a bit, then she got lodged in a patch of weeds. I managed to pull the boat to her, and when we neared she ran off again. Peeling line like nothing I've seen before, and then it happened... Pop! Line goes slack, reel it in... no hook, no fish... nothing. Damn. But, I have to say that was friggen awesome!

Interesting about the lack of panfish on Pigeon.

I'm still catching lots of rockies jigging for eyes. even caught a big crappie. occasionally bluegills.

lots of loons, osprey and a few cormorants around.

saw a lot of panfish floating on the surface in the spring

Well, they're probably all still there... maybe they're in different locations? I would like to chase the muskies, but I don't really have any idea of where to really look and don't really have big ass lures for em.

Up in the nogies creek bay, it's pretty much all 0.5-1.5 lb bass. And rockies. I mean, they are much more fun than pan fish, but when I take my nephew out it's hard to keep him occupied when there isn't consistent panfish action for him. It's a strange year.

Hey Capt Pierre, I've been trying jigging for walleyes recently... since I've heard it's quite effective. So far, zippo for luck... Any certain style of jig or colour? I've been generally jigging semi-close to shore where there's a rocky shoal dropping off into probably about 10 ft with lots of weeds.

I've had the best luck throwing black bucktail jigs into about 10 ft deep weedflats or into weedy humps in deeper water.

the wallies relate to weeds and only a bucktail ripped thru them can take the abuse. black/yellow, black/red or grren works too.

need braided line. I use 10 lb.

Last time I was out with my son from London Ont (before the heat wave) we caught several bluegills while fishing for bass using 2 1/2 inch tubes...Like you said there were lots of small bass but we kept 4 in the 1 1/2 to 2 lb size (smallmouths) for him to take to his mother...

Edited by Beans

A wee little update, we found the smallies and some pickerel. Took some searching and some change of techniques... well to the simplest technique known... Jigging a worm off the side of the boat right off the bottom in about 10 ft of water. Plenty of 0.5-2lb smallies, and about 4 pickerel between 12-16 inches long. Unfortunately no camera... I think there's a picture of a smaller pickerel and a 1.5lb smallie but not uploaded until we get home. Nothing at all was hitting any sort of moving bait/lure, the only way we could get them to bite was to be patient and dangle a worm right near bottom. Weird. Really weird.

A wee little update, we found the smallies and some pickerel. Took some searching and some change of techniques... well to the simplest technique known... Jigging a worm off the side of the boat right off the bottom in about 10 ft of water. Plenty of 0.5-2lb smallies, and about 4 pickerel between 12-16 inches long. Unfortunately no camera... I think there's a picture of a smaller pickerel and a 1.5lb smallie but not uploaded until we get home. Nothing at all was hitting any sort of moving bait/lure, the only way we could get them to bite was to be patient and dangle a worm right near bottom. Weird. Really weird.

remember there is a slot on Pigeon for walleye to keep, gotta be between 35-50 cm roughly 15-20 inches