2 reports in one

Whitemikeca

Today - Buckhorn lake:

During the winter I bought a used 14' fiberglass fishing boat so today my uncle and I moved it up to Emerald Isle Marina on Buckhorn Lake where I am going to dock it for the season. We didn't get there until 7pm but we decided to head out for an hour or so of fishing before it got dark. When we got out onto the water we realized that my tackle box was filled with nothing but pike lures(spoons, mepps, husky jerks and spinnerbaits) and one jig. I had forgotten that I had emptied it out of all small cranbaits and jigs when I went to T.O. Islands on Friday(see second report below). So I gave my uncle my one jig and I used a spinnerbait. After about 15 mins my uncle landed this lunker to christen the boat:

Kevin.jpg

I was worried I was going to get skunked but just as we were about to leave I watched this slab of a walleye nail my spinner right at the side of the boat. It harder and faster than I have ever seen a walleye hit. I originally thought it was a small muskie but once it started trashing I could see it was a walleye and I almost pooped my pants.

Walleye.jpg

We didn't have a tape measure or a scale with us but the fish was approx 7-8 pounds(keep in mind that I am 6 foot 250 pounds). Overall it was a pretty good first hour of fishing for my new boat. Now i can't wait to get back out there this long weekend. Hopefully I can get some eating size walleyes to keep next time.

Friday - T.O. Islands:

Me and my friend Auni decided that the weather was looking too good on friday to be stuck in our cubicles so we headed out to the Islands to try and catch some pike instead. We started out on Wards Island and I lost a 30+ incher. He fought for 5 or 6 seconds and then I thought he spit the hook. However on my next few casts I noticed that my spoon didn't look the same and on closer inspection the "O" ring was bent open and the hook was missing(I would have attached a photo of the spoon but this 250k file limit is tough to work with). We continued fishing Wards for an hour or so with no luck. Once we got to centre Island I caught this hammer handle:

Pike.jpg

Unfortunatly that is all we caught for the day, but it was a great day to be outside.

Edited by Whitemikeca