The newest addition To my canoe

Broker

LOL, is your buddy riding on the yolk?

LOL, he is sitting on the bottom of the canoe, I put a piece of foam pipe covering on the cross member of the outrigger so he can lean on the outrigger comfortably, the yoke is untouched by him and the outrigger.

Great job on your outrigger!! I considered purchasing those boat bumper floats from Canadian Tire but clearly had a brain fart as to how to mount them, kudos to you and you're design, I love it!

Those are some really nice stabilizers, I want to keep mine as low budget as possible so I would use pool noodle,I'm just unsure how to clamp them on without drilling holes into the canoe. Frank could you explain how to put those clamps on ? I'm slightly confused LOL

Impressive designs? I met a guy at mountsberg last week that could have used outriggers. He fell out of his sports pal last fall. Did not capsize but fell out had to swim and tow the boat in. Said he sold the sports pal shortly thereafter.

These are great ideas!,for a narrow river could be a problem?. Now to tow behind your boat if you have extra anglers and not enough fishing room on board. Also these could be really helpfull with a slight chop or with a lot of boat traffic in the area. :good: .

Those are some really nice stabilizers, I want to keep mine as low budget as possible so I would use pool noodle,I'm just unsure how to clamp them on without drilling holes into the canoe. Frank could you explain how to put those clamps on ? I'm slightly confused LOL

The u bolt strut beam claps look like this....

pACE3-15580657enh-z7_zpsbf08e7a2.jpg

The lip of the clamp tightens with two nuts to the horizontal PVC cross member that goes across the canoe, my canoe has a lip/edge that goes to the outside of the boat, you just slide them up to the lip with the pole through the middle and tighten with a small adjustable wrench, they take 1 minute to put on and you do not need to drill through your canoe.

If your canoe has a lip/edge on the inside like some do, then you just flip the ubolt clamp upside down, it works either way, I ordered mine through brofasco fastners in St Catharines and the two came out to $11.43 taxes in. Cheap and useful!

I use a Lowrance X-4 Portable sonar, which I picked up at Canadian Tire last year when it was on sale. I don't really use it often, but I like it. It does what I need - depth, basic structure, and surface temperature. I believe you can get some kind of adaptor to clamp the transducer to your trolling motor (couldn't be too hard to make one, either), but I just use the suction cup that came with it, though I took it off the plastic piece and bolted the transducer directly to the cup, and I just stick it on the side of my Sportspal. It's not angled entirely correct when I do this, but whatever, it works well enough. Some day I'll rig up a better mount with a proper angle. It's not fancy, but I'm happy with it, and it's way better than the first sonar I had.

Can you show a better pic of your motor mount? I had a motor on my old Mad River canoe. I have a new canoe and looking at different ways to mount a trolling motor. My canoe used to motor right along with the trolling motor.

RR

Can you show a better pic of your motor mount? I had a motor on my old Mad River canoe. I have a new canoe and looking at different ways to mount a trolling motor. My canoe used to motor right along with the trolling motor.

RR

I just used scrap wood from a deck project.. Then used c-clamps to keep the mount on to the gunnels. Bolted a thicker piece of wood to mount the actual motor on. Works great, no problems, cost me 0 dollars all stuff I had around the house.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/Ratz2/null.jpg

that's a sweet canoe Christopher, Swift or Souris River?, the purists would be gritting their teeth looking at your mods to such a great boat though (Haha)

Exactly Chris! Great design, but why the need. I have never flipped a canoe unless I wanted to do so. Not even during the fight to get Kristal's 44.5 x 17 Northern in the boat.

Exactly Chris! Great design, but why the need. I have never flipped a canoe unless I wanted to do so. Not even during the fight to get Kristal's 44.5 x 17 Northern in the boat.

I've also never flipped a boat of any kind, yet I've considered adding these for the security/peace of mind when standing (for example, when learning to fly cast), and also for windier days on larger lakes.. But then again, I use a Sportspal, and that alone excludes me from any elitist crowd. :P

You are going to have fun with that Shasta. I have a 36 lb thrust trolling motor and it will zip along pretty good. You might want to buy a tube to pull around behind you!

Thanks for posting your pictures Christopher, I had a design in my head but was trying to figure out something for the floats. Thats looks great.

Edited by BLOO KANOO