Border crossing ...401 or 407 ?

Rodwrap

Last I knew, a photo ID & Birth Certificate is all we need to cross either way, Passport needed next year.....ANY UPDATES on crossing ??

Is 407 better that 401 in the Toronto area ? We will go up in the middle of the night, so ,the 401 isn't too bad, but, we'll go home thru rush hour :wallbash:

BTW, what's the current gas price in the Kawartha area?

Photo ID and birth certificate are still fine as far as I know. If in doubt call ahead, probably wouldn't hurt to do that anyway.

Price for gas last night was 99.9 - 102.9. I saw it this morning at 108.9 - go figure.

If you are going through away from heavy traffic, you will be fine on the 401. 407 is a nice stretch though. Can't lose on either road.

all you should need this year is a birth certificate and driver's liscence. i would recomend the 407, its a nice road and you can make pretty good time on it. i have used both and would go with the 407 anyday.

jason

I drive the 407 daily both to and from work from the beginning @ the 403 to Jane st. (Just after the 400) it is decent regardless of the time.. sure it does bottle neck a bit during rush hour but that is because there is a ton of construction happening on the 407. (They are adding new lanes) That being said I would take the 407 over the QEW or 401 any day of the week!

Gerritt

Can't lose on either road

Zoinks...I'd debate that one. I've lost my sanity more than once on the 401 crawling all the way from Etobicoke to Whitby (does it normally take over 2 hours to drive that stretch?)

I wouldn't touch the 401 unless its a week-end, or hours before/after any "rush" hour.

Gotta love the 401...80 mph for a mile,then JAM on the brakes to keep from hitting the guy in front of you--traffic almost stopped..then 80 mph again...LOL!!

How far East does 407 go ? How do you get to 115/35 ? Drop back down to 401 ?

All you need until next year is your birth certificate and drivers license. We went across to the states in March and it is all you need at the moment. But come next year we have to get the passport thing done if we want to cross. Right now if you go by plane or by sea you have to have a passport.

407 East ends at Hwy 7 just east of Brougham...from there you can continue east over to Hwy 12 turn left and go north on Hwy 7/12 to Manchester...turn right and take Hwy 7a east over to Hwy 35...from there you can head north to Lindsay or go south a couple of kilometers and Hwy 7a continues east on over to Hwy 115 just east of Cavan...whereabouts is your final destination ?

I live just a few miles from the border and have crossed it thousands of times. Right now a Driver License is only needed. I have never had my birth certificate with me. Starting Jan 2008 things are suppose to change and a passport or the new "Pass" card will be needed if they ever produce one.