tilt acting up

workwear

hey guys......was out on balsam yesterday.....while flippin in shallow water....i raise my motor.....10 min later i turn round and its dropped back to the down position......tilt wouldnt hold its position.............motor worked fine with the tilt....just wouldnt stay locked....

can anyone give any insight on this??........im thinking low fluid levels

thanks

Theres a screw with a flat tip on the pump thats used to raise the motor when the trim fails. Make sure its tight if its not it can be leaking down from the loose screw.

This would be my bet.

Just to clarify "can be leaking down"; there won't necessarily be an external fluid leak there, a loose screw on the manual relief valve will allow fluid to "leak" past the valve.

If there's no sign of fluid loss in the T/T system, try tightening the manual relief valve as fishburn advised. These valves don't have a high failure rate but if it is defective, it shouldn't set you back too much.

This would be my bet.

Just to clarify "can be leaking down"; there won't necessarily be an external fluid leak there, a loose screw on the manual relief valve will allow fluid to "leak" past the valve.

If there's no sign of fluid loss in the T/T system, try tightening the manual relief valve as fishburn advised. These valves don't have a high failure rate but if it is defective, it shouldn't set you back too much.

X3

Art

thank guys for all the info........i drained all the fluid and added new oil...cycled it a dozen times....problem solved.....for now anyways.....if she starts acting up then its prolly a seal....again thanks to all those that responded

btw priced out a new tilt and trim for my motor.....ouch!!!....1800.00 new