N/F - Video - Red Fox Mother and her Kits (Algonquin Park)

Hello All,

For those that didn't see my past post in the Photography forum, I have been fortunate to photograph a pair of red foxes in Algonquin Provincial Park since last fall. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon the den - and the six kits (which I believe to be approx. 7 - 8 weeks old).

I have been back up to the park three times in as many weeks to photograph both the kits and parents, and back on May 24, I decided to make a short video showcasing their interactions.

I thought those that love wildlife and the outdoors might enjoy...

Cheers,

Justin

Hey Guys,

The litter is down to five kits as of the 25th. On the 23rd the mother moved the kits to a new den site (which is seen in this video) approx. 50 yards away from the first. It appears wolves visited the first den site on the 23rd, as there was fresh scat found. When I found the mother (and eventually the kits at the secondary site) she was very skittish, continually sniffing around the old den but not going in. Also, constantly on the lookout.

Although only three kits came out while I was shooting this video, another two came out a bit later. The next morning (the 25th) the mother moved every kit (a total of five) out of this secondary den, down a hill, across an open field and finally over a dirt road and into a new forested area. She took two of the kits together, and the other three each by their own. It was quite the sight to see!!!!

I have been unable to locate this new den, although I have found the mother and father the last two times I have been up. So, my thoughts are that the mother moved them to a new den due to the wolves visiting...and, I am guessing the wolves may have got the one kit. Hard to say.

It has been a pretty cool experience so far!!!

Cheers,

Justin

Cool vid justin! Cute little buggers!

Do you think your presence around the den may have anything to do with the move? I've seen some very social foxes, but I would think these ones are pretty "wild" up there in the park?

We used to fish a creek for rainbows at night a lot years ago. At one pool we always fished there was a fox who would show up looking for snacks from us. pretty neat critters, and very social.

S

Hey Sinker - Although these foxes are "wild", this pair is very comfortable with humans, the mother especially. In fact, when I was shooting this video, she was asleep no more than four feet away from me. She had no concern with my presence, and would often go off hunting for a couple hours at a time, leaving me with her kits. In the fall and winter, she would often come running when she would see my truck. The fact that this pair live fairly close to a campground leads me to believe they have had human interaction in the past, prior to myself ever meeting them.

Up until the move, she had a massive den that was extremely accommodating. I knew instantly when I showed up on the 24th that something was wrong - just from her behaviour. The kits were acting very strange also. It was then that I discovered the fresh wolf scat mere feet from the original den. It rained the night before, so I am guessing the pack paid a visit early that morning.

Foxes actually have upwards of six dens at any one time, and are renowned for moving the kits quite often (and even splitting them in half over two dens) to ensure survival and trick predators. I truly believe it was the wolf visit that caused her to move. The fact that she spent a lot of time sniffing the wolf scat by the old den - and would not enter the den at all - leads me to believe this.

I think they have always had a den on the other side of the road, as during the fall and winter, they would always set off in that direction.

Sadly, while drive highway 60 early in the morning this past Saturday, I discovered a kit on the shoulder of the road that had been hit by a vehicle. It is not from this pack that I have been filming. As I stopped my car, I noticed one of it's brothers or sisters sitting up on the other side of the road, amongst the rocks. Kind of sad...but a fact of nature.

Speaking of vehicle collisions - at least three moose/car collisions in the last three weeks. Some nice bulls killed. Sad...and scary for the driver. I'm slightly fearful of driving at night up there.

Cheers,

Justin