oil furnace venting?

richyb

I am going to be getting my roof done soon but my chimney is falling apart. At the moment my oil furnace is vented up through my chimney. I am trying to figure out if I would be able to vent my furnace out the basement wall instead and just knock down my chimney ? Any help or thoughts would be great thanks !

You need a oil furnace mechanics advice for sure - the only thing I can tell you is that there is several types of venting and they are matched to the type of furnace you have - the type of vent you want to change to may require replacing the type of furnace you have - and of course there's a few billion laws and regulations that need to be observed. In short, make sure the advice you do act on comes from a qualified and certified source - this is not something you can McGyver to save $$$$ at all.

Michael

It might be cheaper for you to replace the furnace than to do a chimney rebuild. Check it out. I'm guessing that your hot water tank uses the chimney too? That will have to be factored in as well.

It might be cheaper for you to replace the furnace than to do a chimney rebuild. Check it out. I'm guessing that your hot water tank uses the chimney too? That will have to be factored in as well.

Doubtful the water heater uses the chimney. Not many oil burning ones. Most that have oil furnaces have electric water heaters.

If it's an old furnace than yes it may be cheaper in the long run to replace the furnace with a direct vented one. The cost of not rebuilding the chimney will go quite a ways in paying for a far more efficient furnace will save money over the years.

Wheres the auto save? I just lost my reply.

Richyb,

PM me with these numbers.

Age of furnace, make, model number.

Type of hot water heater, age, fuel used, does it share the same stack as the furnace?

Cost of replacing chimney. Price of stainless steel liner installed and if chimney is salvageable if possible. A picture would help.

Cost of fuel where you are, oil, natural gas, propane.

I should be able to give you the return on investment to help you decide whether to replace the furnace.

I see you are from Orillia, if you have any friends or relatives that played in the Northern Football Conference for Orillia in 1978 and hit me out of bounds and tore my ACL, don't bother!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding.

Edited by Old Ironmaker