6wt recommendations

timmeh

Hey all,

Fishing ended early to today with the crack of my 6wt avid splintering into 5 pieces. I'll be sending it back but realistically it'll be mid June until I can expect to have it back. So If I can find the right rod at the right price I'm considering adding a new stick to the arsenal. Wouldn't be bad to have a backup considering I use it frequently.

What I'm looking for is a rod for throwing trout streamers and bass fishing. I'm used to a med-fast action but am not stuck on that. I'm willing to spend in the 3-400 range at most, if I can find the right deal. If anyone has any suggestions of rods to consider or knows of any sales I'd be interested.

I've heard good things about the TFO BVKs, anyone have anything good or bad to say about those?

Thanks,

Tim

Don't use my fly rods often... a few times a year. Have a 6wt TFO as well that was once used more for trout, walleye and whitefish. You wouldn't have to break the bank buying one. No expert, but I think it's a decent stick. With Lefty Kreh backing they're fly rods and Gary Loomis now working with them for cast/spinning rods, there's a solid bit of knowledge going into this company.

TFO BVK is a great rod for the money , i have the 12 wt , the 8wt came in third in a rod shoot out with all the big names i believe last year or the year before , and you can order direct from alberta in a couple days also the warranty is fast and painless from what i understand . i use a GLX crosscurrent 6wt and its a great rod also but up there in price unless you can find a deal on a used one . i wouldnt hesitate on a BVK though for the cash its a great stick IMO also check the big action site for a deal

Edited by Wiser

as mentioned, the bvk is a great rod and value for the money

how did you break your current 6 wt? and the last time i broke a st. croix it was walk in and walk out with a new rod from the shop i bought it from, no waiting around

unless you really want two 6 wts, you could consider going up to a 7 or 8 wt...there is a T&T for sale in the classifieds right now

echo are good rods, good warranties....guidelines are good rods....3-400 will get you into a lot of good rods, try to look at a few before you buy

Thanks for the input guys.

Can't just walk in and exchange as i've only broken one section and they're going to replace that section not the entire rod. Also the store doesn't have any of the model in anymore. But they will send it back for me and it will cost me much less than if I do it myself, but will take longer.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a 6 weight, a fast action 5 may work, but I'd like it to be able to cast my current 6WF line. If it can't then I need new line to match, and a spare spool if I don't want to swap lines often. Plus I've already got an 8wt. I don't mind having another 6 since I use it alot and it would be nice to have a backup on trips. But I see the point and am going to consider getting a 5 or 7 instead.

I have been test casting a few rods today and will again tomorrow so hopefully I find something good.

do you only fish streamers for trout? or dry fly as well? you can get a that will do both good but not either one great

i'd get a fast action 6 wt for trout streamers and bass, and then a mod or mod fast 5 for trout dry fly fishing...you could use the same reel even without a spare spool, just buy a fly line wallet (or make your own) and switch lines quick and easy by using a loop to loop connection between backing to fly line

for bass poppers and large streamers, i' recommend an 8wt, i have a g loomis nrx 8wt, have used almost exclusively for this years trout run, and haven't been disappointed

I also have a ross rx 6wt, for $350 its a great rod, i just found it a little light this year for some of the bigger fish i was hooking into.

check out the fly rod selection at sail, was just looking through their catalogue, they have some great prices on fly rods, sage, greys, hardy and st croix

as for a 5wt casting your 6wt line, don't worry, its fairly common practice to over weight your rod by 1wt of line to make casting easier, i have 8wt line on my 8wt rod and i find it more difficult to cast then my 6wt rod loaded with 7wt line

Edited by FloatnFly

do you only fish streamers for trout? or dry fly as well?

I've got a 4wt that I use for dries so this rod would mainly be for streamers.Didn't think about a line wallet, that's an idea.

I also have a ross rx 6wt, for $350 its a great rod, i just found it a little light this year for some of the bigger fish i was hooking into.

I tested one of those today and was quite surprised, I wasn't expecting too much. I'm going to have to give it some consideration.

I've got a 4wt that I use for dries so this rod would mainly be for streamers.Didn't think about a line wallet, that's an idea.

I tested one of those today and was quite surprised, I wasn't expecting too much. I'm going to have to give it some consideration.

you would not be dissapointed thats for sure