New boat cover, what to look for.

Looks like my wife has repaired my custom canvas boat cover for the last time. She's 17 years old (the cover not the wife) and owes me nothing.

What should I be looking for ? I'm sure based on prices they are not all created equal. What construction material is preferred? I Scotchgaurd the canvas every year and that's not cheap. Are there different thickness' etc? I know I will not find something that will fit my Motorguide, or can I? It really only takes a minute to disconnect the trolling motor.

It will be kept outdoors. I see plenty of boats not shrink wrapped that are stored outdoors during the winter. I do shrink wrap mine but am willing to pay good money for a quality cover considering the cost to shrink wrap is $10.00 a foot last year and I'm sure the price will be going up not down.

It's a 19.5 foot Starcraft Superfisherman 190.

Thanks all.

I was planning on covering the new cover with my old cover in the winter. I'm getting a quote for a replacement from a tarp maker in Burlington, I can take in my old cover and they will clone it exactly. I don't like dealing with this type of thing from the internet where I can't see the material and workmanship first hand and who knows how it fits until I get it, this way I know it should fit perfectly.

Thanks all.

I've had Top Gun on my last 2 boats and it's an excellent product. Lasts for years and still looks good.

If I was leaving my boat outside for the winter under a pile of snow, I wouldn't be using my expensive cover for it though. I'd store the cover in the house and spend the money on a shrinkwrap and then you've got nothing to worry about. A good cover is gonna cost you some serious money and I'd hate to see it get stretched under the weight of a heavy load of snow.

But, that's just my opinion.

Lew,

I've spent about $700.00 on shrink wrap in the last 3 years. I was thinking spend a few bucks more on a good quality cover and it will pay for itself. I have made supports for below the cover with ABS pipe and are supported with toilet closet flanges. We really don't get any snow here, cleared the drive twice last winter, zero 2011/12. So snow load shouldn't be an issue. I was quoted $550.00 including HST today for a quality canvas with 3 year warranty. For 700 I can get the best available and a 5 year warranty. I think I'm going to go with the upgrade material, it is used by the Canadian military, if good enough for them it's good enough for me. It is a bit heavy but that's the only negative I can find.

He said the price is good until the end of the year.