Bradford - Holland River - April 27th (First Report)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first fishing report of the year. First of all, I would like to introduce myself as a young urban fisherman who started fishing about 5 years ago. I unofficially represent Grenadier Pond, High Park, Toronto. I've been fishing at this pond every year during the summer, every weekend (I'm a regular, and I see lots of regulars there too). I'm part of the Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassador and I've done lot's of volunteering for Family Fishing day and educational events. I have a facebook group for Grenadier Pond which is slowly growing into a community just like this site.

If you're interested to know more about this pond and what it's like to fish there, please feel free to send me a PM.

The Report

My first fishing trip of the year started with trying for Crappie at Bradford. I tried searching videos and pictures of this place and it's pretty rare to find anything for this area. I do photography/videography as a hobby and I managed to take some photos. This is my first time visiting there and I'm finally driving now (I'm mainly a public transit user). I heard this is the closest place to Toronto for catching crappie.

The weather was very beautiful that weekend and there were lot's of people fishing on both sides of the river. The biggest slab I've seen come out there while fishing for 2 hour was probably 1.5lb and the rest were tiny.

I used a slip float with my 4 piece ultra light rod setup and 4lb line. I used a 1 cm tiny pink jig tube and fished about 20 inches in depth. I caught about 6 crappies and lost a big one. The minnows were swimming in full force, all you had to do scoop it with a net blind folded for live bait.

IMG_0009.jpg401320_10200493369650717_1460980793_n.jpg

I might back there and visit Keswick on the same day.

Edited by GrenadierPond-HighPark

"I heard this is the closest place to Toronto for catching crappie."

I caught my very first Calico Bass (Crappie) in Grenadier Pond way back in the late 1940s...