Humber Steelhead?

skdds

Last weekend I went down with the kids to check out the steelhead run for the first time at the old mill...very cool..many good sized fish jumping the dam (have video..how to load?).

So, for fun I rigged up my rod with a slipbobber - crawler and splitshot down by the bridge and allowed it to drift down river. Beginners luck was on my side and I nailed a good sized fish!

Now, I would like to work the river again... how long does the steelhead run go for? Any tips for the Humber? Other productive locations and tackle suggestions for a newbie steelhead fan?

Thanks skdds

Yes, according to the regs, its open downstream -where I was. No rules broken by me! (or the other anglers nearby) The season is closed until end of April upstream from Eglinton...I did check this before I went. You also can't fish however near the dam...there is a sign posted.

now...any fishing tips..?

I liked when there was a nice deep hole at the bridge. Always grabbed a few good fish at the net yard. But Im talking years ago. :(

I haven't fished there in years either, always stopped at that hole before trying to find myself a spot to fish at that crazy dam!

Musky or Specks, on 13 Apr 2013 - 21:40, said:

My favourite was that run just down from the bridge that fed the pool under the subway bridge. Hated fishing there compared to outside the GTA but hey I lived in High Park so it was nice and close,.

Funny you mention the dam. It was always shoulder to shoulder. Many follies :lol: . I for one was. While walking out,(having been fishing it for alot of years) I was stepping onto rock pad to rock pad. This one time,it wasnt a rock,it was a fresh salmon that was just sitting there. Step,and down I went.LOL I also recall a guy named,Bob Ray. Yep he fished there. Boys,Im going to clean this river up when I get elected. Ah ya,that worked out.

I can sit here and honestly say though,there were more fish snagged up,then hooked in the yap. Anyone say dif,well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ya it was close for me too. Etobicoke.

Edited by Misfish