Rivet replacement in West GTA?

icefisherman

Well as much as I hate getting up on a Sunday morning... Emil was right on time at 7:25 and the rush was on to get him out of here so he could be on the water by noon. So technically two things I hate.. getting up and rushing a job, but we got it done the best we could. Should last from here on out and if not the boat will fall apart around the repair.

The previous "Marine" repair facility that he paid good hard earned dollars to, that replaced this rivet twice, had buggered that hole up so much that I had to open it to 5/16 diameter to clean it up. Probably should have gone up to 3/8ths.. but at that size we may as well have put a rubber transom drain plug in the hole! lol

A short piece of angle to continue the exisiting angle down a bit, to give a few more rivet spots, and also to make the backer plate sit flush. A new hole drilled between each existing, some sealer and some new rivets.

5 out of 6 rivets almost the right colour to match the boat right out of my parts supply... the big purple one.. not so much! :whistling:

Hopefully the fish were biting today......

....oh and if you ever need a helper setting rivets, that Emil lad is pretty damn good at keeping the bucking bar square and in place!

Edited by irishfield

BTW.. don't buy the 3M4200 quick cure at CTC.. very disappointing this morning to find it was already hard in the tube! Cutting the tube in the center got us enough to do the repair and the 2 hour cure hopefully happened before he launched in 2 hours and 5 minutes! :o

Thanks again Wayne. Just got home...it was a loooooooong but good and satisfying day....boat is fixed fish is cleaned and in the freezer...Arnie is happy too...kids never stopped talking about your planes and every time one passed overhead while fishing today they kept saying here is Wayne flying over.... :angel:

Same nice guy I remember from BOQ and from Temagami years ago...bit older but so am I ha ha....always ready to lend helping hand to a poor soul like me in need. Got to do something about the purple rivet ha ha ha....or I may keep it for good luck ;-) fish liked it today. :clapping:

Kids loved seeing so many airplanes in one spot and and just a hand away. And Wayne's truck got a free snow removal job....yes he still have plenty of snow around.....almost in May ;-)

Have a feeling this is the last time this river gets touched....it was good call to drive the 2 hrs to Wayne instead of to the last place that "fixed it twice"...checked it while on the water today by touching he area and rivets from inside the battery compartment to see if I feel any drops of wetness...nothing...all dry...just as promised ;-))) so quite happy and sorry for bothering you so early on the weekend.

Wish you all the best Wayne and hope to be able to return the kind gesture one day! :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman