Anyone running a Mako or Whaler?

MSBruno

Looking at a new rig and looking very closely at the Mako (BPS variant) and the Whaler.

Anyone know how these boats are in shallow areas? I know they are bigger water boats, so i am not so concerned with that aspect of the hull design, but I am a little concerned they'll sit too low in the water coming from a conventional bass boat.

Any help would be appreciated. I only found 1 in Washago and he's asking too much for my $$$$$. Anyone know of anyone else selling?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

For skinny water, the Whaler Montauk 150 (CC) which is 15' 5", the draft is 7". On the Mako Pro 16 skiff (CC) which is 15' 10", draft is 8". I wouldn't purposely run a glass boat in water that skinny though.

The whaler is actually termed as a shallow draft boat. It is popular in the Florida keys because of the shallow sand flats they run. In that environment (sand and soft bottoms) they are the king. I run a Ranger up North and I am uncomfortable with the shoals and shallows I find in unknown areas. My shallow draft boat is an Aluminum boat with an outboard Jet it runs in 4 inches of water and it is used for shallow rivers but is horrible in weeds due to the intake of the jet drive. I have found that I like to run the boat that works the best in the water I fish the most.

Art

The reason a shallow draft boat is shallow is it rides on top of the water and has very little cutting ability. You will stuff waves with them and the penalty is getting wet. There is trade offs for each type of boat. Run a deep V in the shallows and you will find a shoal quicker than a shallow draft boat.

Art

Boston Whaler?

Whaler all the way....

You can cut waves in a storm like nobodys buisness.Bitt of a rough ride but compleetly in controll.

Just be shure to have a responsive engine behind you.

Shallow is good. at low speed..

Edited by saltydawg