Fishing Cancun - Any specifics?

Doctrt

Hey guys. I'm heading to Cancun tomorrow for a week. I'm familiar with shore fishing in the Caribbean but I've never been to Cancun before. I'll be staying at the Great Parnassus, mostly pier or shore fishing. Is it the same as everywhere else? Black and silver body baits, shrimp and calamari from the restaurants under a float? I hope to target something bigger than bait. I'll also do one day on a charter. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? In the past, this forum has been a great reference. Thanks in advance.

T

I use to go down to the Cancun area quite a bit ( about 1 hour north ) and I got to know one of the local fishermen down there that runs a charter . I would take down some lures and good terminal tackle and give the stuff to him and he would give me a great deal on a charter . We first started out with barracuda and they were easy to catch , the last couple trips I took was out to an area about 20 miles NE out from Cancun , it was something like our "Lake Ontario Blue Zone " Mexico style . It was funny because you had this vast ocean all around you and about 10-20 boats all in the same area , it was a hotspot for sure !

We were catching king fish out there and I can tell you that these guys were the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught , they would simply exhaust you out by the end of the day.

Here is some pictures of the crew and some of our catch

P2280213_zpsf2ade15e.jpg

P2280206_zpsae117392.jpg

Good luck