Fish Finders

Smitty1

Hi Guys

Thinking about getting a new fish finder – I have always been a Lowrance guy – but I am looking at other brands (Garmin and Humminbird).

I have a budget of about $250-$300

Looking for any advice for recommendations for these units.

Lowrance – Elite 5x

Garmin – Echo 500 c

Humminbird – 346 Ci DI

Is the down imagining, dual beam or colour worth the extra price?

I mostly jig fish for walleye.

Thanks for your help

Smitty

I use the Humminbird Pirahnamax 170 for all year. DualBeam 20/60 degrees. 4" screen is Black and white, but lasts for the ice season with 1 charge on a 12V 7Ah battery - fishing 5 hours every week. I have used it for KempBay down to 80'. I just haven't had the chance to deeper. Now considering an upgrade, but have found that I still own the best B/W unit. $110 at BassPro.

Good Color units start over $300. They all show fish/structure. Color is just prettier, but chews through batteries.

Jiggy

If you know anybody in the states that you can ship to Overtons is selling the lowrance elite 5 dsi with chartplotter for 399 with free shipping within the united states. I ordered one today and delivered it to a friends house that is comming up in april so I'l pick it up from him then.

IMO stay away from the Garmin.

Both other units have transducer angles of 20 & 60 degs.

The Garmin is 60 & 120 degs. The narrower deam allows you to concentrate the power in a smaller area giving you more sensitivity.

Dual beam at 20 & 60 degs can be helpfull when fishing different depths.

I have no expierience with down imaging but it looks like it could be helpfull for jigging walleye.

The other 2 units have simular specs except the Humminbird has down imaging & the Lowrance has a bigger screen.

Thanks for your help guys - I am really leaning towards the humminbird - I take the unit off my boat between trips - and I like the idea of the quick disconnect - with the Lowrance I had to wiggle off the cables on the back and thats what happened with my last one - I broke off some pins in the unit.

Smitty

when i was lookiing for a depthfinder i checked all the big stores (cabelas, bass pro, wholesale sports) and they all told me, without exception that they sell humminbirds, ten to one over lowrance. they say they get better service and the humminbird has more features for your hard earned dollar.

I reallly had my heart set on an HD7 but after listening to these guys i went to humminbird and it had the side scan on it. to be truthfull , i was disappointed in the side scan and use it seldom but when i get on a reef, i give it a try to see if it is showing where the outcroppings of rocks extend. that hasn't worked very well but i keep trying it (maybe i'm just a litlle slow on the uptake).

the unit i bought, i got at a small mom and pop tackle shop in winnipeg that regularly beats the prices of the bigger store and it was in the $1300 range.