Weather and Good Fishing: A Review

Sharkbait22

When has the ice fishing for lakers or whites been outstanding for you on Simcoe? I'm interested in looking at the weather leading up to this great day you had when you couldn't keep the fish off. I want to see if there are any patterns. It would also be good to know if you went out the next day expecting the same great result but met the skunk instead. I need the exact date e.g., March 5th 2011. Some of you might keep fishing logs/journals that would help. I don’t have enough of these great days unfortunately to do this myself!

So with that please give me some dates to work with. No locations required. I’ll report back when enough data comes in. Tight lines.

Dont know about Simcoe. But in Haliburton, ive noticed that there are strong bites at fairly specific times. My own sample size is very small compared to others though. Weather hasnt really been a strong indicator of whether or not im going out. Just so happens that every chance i get, its at least -20deg...

I'm sure the whitefish would respond to the weather and the solunar cycles if they weren't taking a nap on the bottom of the lake.

Can anyone actually confirm all this talk about a big whitefish die-off?? Seems like a lot of talk based on only one second hand account of what someone saw on a camera that I have found on the web...

Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013 - out from Oro Line 2 - 110 ft water - lots of fish marked, lots of follows but no committals.

Friday, Feb. 22, 2012 - out from Oro Line 2 - 115 ft water - many fish marked, some follows, no takers.

Burt :)

Can't help you with weather patterns, but soluner tables have always paid off huge for me when fishing for Trout. Weather hasn't bee a big factor for me.

Yup. I could also look at the solunar times. Getting a free solunar calendar that can handle past present and future daily rankings and major times is the challenge. A free app (my fishing advisor) for my phone allows you to get data for any period but the major times seem off by 1hr when compared to the solunar website (solunarforecast.com). Don't know who is right. For Feb 24th today the major time from the app is 10:34-12:34, but the solunar website says 11:31 AM - 1:31 PM. Both pretty similar.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It's something I'll try keep my eye on.

Yup. I could also look at the solunar times. Getting a free solunar calendar that can handle past present and future daily rankings and major times is the challenge. A free app (my fishing advisor) for my phone allows you to get data for any period but the major times seem off by 1hr when compared to the solunar website (solunarforecast.com). Don't know who is right. For Feb 24th today the major time from the app is 10:34-12:34, but the solunar website says 11:31 AM - 1:31 PM. Both pretty similar.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It's something I'll try keep my eye on.

Mine says 11:06am to 1:06pm.in Boucherville, Quebec. Have you got the correct postal code punched in to both apps?

What website are you using Roy. The solunarforecast website asks for a postal code. I used Tromblys Fishing store in Orillia just north of Simcoe. The app has a map of North America for which I also used Tromblys fishing store. The app is one hour earlier (10:34 vs. 11:31) for the start of the 2 hr major time. The solunar website is likely the correct time, particularly if you notice that Boucherville should be a little earlier than Simcoe for today. Sun comes up earlier in the east. So that makes sense.

Either way it looks like the good fishing is soon to begin for today. I wish I could verify but I'm stuck at home. Maybe tomorrow.

Monday was supposed to be hot and heavy around 12-2pm and one of the better days for the month. Well I'm not so sure about the tables. Went out this Monday on Simcoe and got skunked. Moved many times, covered a lot of water. Armed with good information and had a hard time even finding fish. Yikes. Looking at some of the message boards it sounds like every one did poorly. An MNR friend noted fish few being caught. Time to think outside the box. Down-size, live bait, set lines? I don't know. Go old school. Looking for some great days in the next couple of weeks.