Quinte Opener - Unusual Catch

superdad

Well, the opening weekend rolled around and Laker John, SuperBert and myself arrived at Bayview Resort in midafternoon on Friday. Loaded the boat with gas (Yikes- it's a tad expensive- those rotten oil companys :evil: )

Met all the campers and got to bed early as the 0500 alarm comes early.

Up before dawn and left the dock at 0615 and headed to the fishing grounds. Trolled over the area with 6 rods out and with about 7 other boats. Never saw a NET. I would bet we didn't mark 20 fish in 6 hours. Guess they weren't there.

Trolled the south side and over on the north side - water temperature difference was 8degs F, (South side 52.8 F and the north was 44.7).

With the North-east howling and makes the waves larger by the minute, we headed home to wait until the winds calmed down- FAT CHANCE :twisted: Back to Bayview after 7 hours fishing with nothing to show in the livewell.

Took a chance on Saturday evening and tried to troll near Ram Is, wind blew us to the old Church like a speed boat, it took over 165feet of line to touch the bottom. TOO FAST......

Spirits were still high for Sunday and although we left at 0700 heading to Desronto, when we rounded the Shermans Pt Light house, the North-east winds were still howling right down Long Reach. Our discrection was to troll down wind and we marked some fish as we trolled to the cement plant.

We were changing lures and heights and doing all the things trying to find fish. Laker John decided that his favourite lure was due and flat-lined an Alpena Diamond and a snap weight about 180' back. As we approached the cement plant the flat-line went off. SuperBert was on deck and took the rod and had a nice fight and as the fish approached the boat, John thought it was a laker, but as the fish flipped into the net, we saw a RAINBOW TROUT - 7.25 lb.

My 86 year old Dad had landed his FIRST Rainbow Trout of his life - what a beauty.

124375.jpg

Spirits were revived and our enthusiasm restored - we continued the area and made our way over to Buoy Q4 and trolled back past Q6 and through Mallory Bay. Marked More bait fish there than any other place we had been.

Made our way back to Bayview at 1500 as we had been out for 8 hours and one fish.

People were catching fish in Hay Bay and one angler(who shall go name-less) was the fortunate catcher of a tagged fish valued at $1000.00.

OH Yes, Guess you have a Kiwanis Ticket to get the prize D'OHHHHHHH.

We had a good weekend, fish-less as it may have been, but just when you think you got this fishing thing down pat - the fish will bring you to your knees just as fast.

Anyhow, that's our weekend and we're looking forward to 2008, like the Dodgers used to say "Wait til next year"

Hope I'm still on the water at 86!

GREAT stuff David, I'm sure your father was thrilled for sure...even with everyone else getting the skunkeroooo. Fresh air, burning fuel and out on the water...what better way to spend the day.

Sounds like an excellent weekend even if the fish didn't want to co-operate too much David, but congrats to your Dad on his 1st ever rainbow.

Maybe see you in Hay Bay on the long weekend, I'm still in the green Crestliner.

I know all the places you mentioned in your post... as we were trolling some of the same ones... it was right between the Old Church and the Culvert that I caught my Walleye, bouncing weeds with a jig head.

Sounds like you made some wonderful memories this past weekend...

Great post, thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

Jen

Good to see some reports coming in from open water.

Congrats on dad's beauty bow.

No walleye, no worries.

You gave it a shot. Better than staying home and working on "THE LIST!" :rolleyes: