Laptop Computer Question.....NF

Meely

Hello Gang,

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop which I use for work and as of late the fan has been running a lot.

The fan will run either at slow speeds then speed up or go quiet for a few seconds then fire up again.

Can anyone explain what is causing this?

It becomes very irritating having to listen to this all the time! (Prior to this, the fan would come on occasionally)

I have noticed that when I switch the "Power Plan" over to "Power Saver Mode" it seems to stop the fan from running.

Is this a proper fix?

Will/can it harm my computer?

Thanks in advance,

Meely :canadian:

How old is it? After a while things can start to get gummed up and it heats up more causing the fan to come on more often. Also if it just started all of a sudden its possible you have some virus or something cause the cpu to run at a higher than normal rate causing more heat as well. When the fan comes on fun check task manager see if anything is eating up the cpu.

Edited by jedimaster

That is probably the most common problem with laptops is overheating. And typically the most common cause is vent blockage by dust. So you definitely do not want to turn the fan off or else your laptop will overheat. Like mentioned already, get a compressed air can and spray the vents. And I wouldn't advise to try to take it apart as laptops typically come with 2 million screws. :) And if that does not work, you may want to consider a laptop cooling pad of some sort.