Night Ice Fishing for Non-Crappies?

Rich

Anyone had luck, or should I say any better luck, ice fishing for bluegills, perch or pike at night through the ice. It seems they completely shut down where I fish. Just wondering if anyone else has done well doing it?

Reason I ask is I work mostly days so to go out after work usually involves a few hours of night fishing. Besides 'blind lucking' into some pods of feeding crappies, I've never caught much else in or near usual good daytime spots.

Edited by Rich

A few of us stayed out late a few weeks ago trying to taget perch and the bite fell off rails. This was out on Simcoe in about 20-25fow, but not sure if they just shut down completley or move to deeper/shallower gronds or what. This was outta Port Bolster area to by the way. Thursday night I'll be out all night at Cooks Bay trying for some more perch. I dont have a ton of ice fishing at night experience, but it hasent been good to me on my two trips out this season so far. I did however land a quality walleye on Nipissing at about 3 in the morning once...pig to.

For Perch, I would suggest moving closer to shore for evening and night fishing. My experience suggests that the schools of perch are close to shore 1st thing in the morning and gradually they move out to deeper water as the day progresses.

Haven't actually fished (ice) at night, but that's what my early morning experience tells me.

Hope this helps.

HH

a couple of my best perching sessions (one after another constant action) have been on lake simcoe shortly after the sun dips down and everyone else is off the ice. but, the bite doesn't last long and i'm thinking it's more of a "right place at the right time" kinda thing.

my buddy has a perch in his aquarium and the only time it eats is at night when there is minimal light in the basement. the tank always has minnows in it so the fish definitely has the option of eating any time it wants.