A short report

Christopheraaron

Yesterday Jeremy and I went up to the Port Severn area for pike and hopefully some crappie. We both arrived at our first location at about 11:30, after hauling the gear out and getting set up it was about noon. We set 2 tip ups near a point with a large drop off in hopes of getting a pike or maybe even a walleye. Once those were set up we decided to try scout the area to try and find some structure for panfish. We marked a few weeds and a couple fish, but nothing that wanted what we were offering. About 20 minutes in Jeremy's tip up went off, he ran over to check it but there was nothing there, but whatever it was scared all the panfish away :wallbash: Tip ups reset we ventured out a little farther from the point to find a reef that came up about 6ft, when I first dropped the flasher down all that it was marking was bottom, but as I was about to lift it up and go to the next hole a small flicker came up just off bottom. I dropped down my panfish jig and pinhead expecting a crappie or perch, after about a minute I knew it wasn't a panfish because I wan't getting a second look. But I kept working it, and a minute or so later the whole bottom started moving up to my jig! And before I knew it I had a fish on, the whole "fight" lasted about 20 seconds and felt like I was pulling up a weed, but once I got it up it turned out to be a nice 20" hammer handle.

pikereport_zpsa11b2877.jpgpikeentry_zpsb1152dd8.jpg

Released to be caught another day I got my line right back down, and the same thing happened! This was another big fish (probably pike) that gave lots of head shakes, but as I was about to get my first look it shook my jig :( Jeremy guessed it was probably about 5lbs.

After that things slowed down and we decided to move to a smaller lake. First hole drilled we were marking fish and were really hopeful that they were crappie, but why would they be? Turned out to just be another school of dink perch :( Jeremy got one of them but that was it, we finished the day with 1 pike and 4 perch. here are a couple more pics :)

Jeremy trying to coax some perch:

photo-21_zpsa7a5bff2.jpg

Ice was thick! Also, LOVE his finbore :D

photo-21_zpsf681178b.jpg