Spinning reels on ice fishing rods

Sharkbait22

Anyone else have issues with spinning reels on ice fishing rods? It always seems the reel is poorly angled for such short rods. It gets worse with bigger reels and heavier rods which you might use on Simcoe for lakers etc. I suppose you could use a shim or cut down into the cork to adjust the angle of the reel. Seems like something the industry could address either on the reel or rod. I my try something.

Somewhat off topic, but I noticed that a freshly oiled reel really helps in preventing the reel to freeze and stiffen up on you. But it dosent do much if dropped in the slush after landing a good fish haha

Also, as much as I like the sensitivity of braid, good old mono dosent hold nearly as much ice/water.

What is the purpose of the angled reel?

I made some adjustments to the rod reel pair in question to point the axis of the spool towards the choker eye as noted by Sinclair. I traced the reel foot on the cork and dugout on a slant with a Dremel tool. Good fit and the angle is bang-on. Try it out soon. Thanks for your replies.

The reel is a brand new Sahara Shimano 1000 which when not on the short ice fishing rod works fine. The 1000 is not large. It is spooled with 10lb Nano and placed on a St Croix 32" heavy action rod - it's beefy. Hopefully the right stuff for big lakers and pike. I add hot sauce oil which works well in cold weather. I have to check out ht reels.