Manitoba ice fishing- Shiloh area

fishinmortician

Does your brother fish at all? He might know a few places too?

Have a good trip and a good reunion with your brother. Please remember to thank him on our behalf for accepting to go there. Whether it's military, journalism or whatever....Afghanistan is not high on the list of most sought after destinations for anyone.

Pretty sure Shilo is the black hole when it comes to Manitoba fishing.

There's the river (I believe it's one of the forks of the Saskatchewan) and a few ponds but not much else unless you drive. If you have a vehicle the drive back to Winnipeg and North to Lockport and beyond is primo for big eyes. ;)

Grew up on a farm near Minnedosa MB, about an hour north of Shilo. Fishing is pretty slim in the imediate area. Close to Brandon/Shilo your best bet would be Rivers Lake (a reseivior on the Little Saskatchewan River) . Mainly northerns and some walleye. If you are willing to travel a little more, 45 minutes north up Hwy 10 and 15 minutes West on Hwy 45 brings you to Sandy Lake and Thomas Lake, a little further north of Sandy. Sandy use to be great for perch and had some good walleye and of course, like all prairie lakes, lots of hammer handles. North of Neepawa MB there;s Kerrs Lake, but it's prone to winter kill. Some years walleye and northern fishing can be good and other years non existent. Otter Lake south of Riding Mountain National Park can be good for Northerns along the east side near the springs, but access maybe a problem, most of the land around the lake is privately owned. There's Clear Lake in Riding Mountain National Park, but you would need to buy a Federal Licence and Park pass, an expensive venture to say the least. Oak Lake, about an hour west of Brandon, near Virden MB can be good. Just a few options to look at.

Take it your brothers in the PPCLI. Pass on my thanks for his service.

Edited by Old Man

Well I spent 4 years there back in the early '90's. You can go ice fishing at Rivers, MB, about a 40 minute drive from Shilo. Go to Brandon, north on #10 and then west on #23(if memory serves right) takes you right into the town. There's access through the park in town or from the other side, ask anyone around there, they know. Big thing, crimp your hooks, otherwise it will cost you. The CO is out there a lot. Rivers, has perch, walleye, ling and pike, some good size ones. I pulled a 30" walleye out of there. Minnows is the bait of choice, I don't know if "Woody" on highway 10 is still in business. Bring a gas auger..with an extension, I had a couple winters with over 4 feet under the hut. There's another little hole called Elgin Reservoir about 40 minutes south of Brandon, it was stocked with walleye. Good luck.

Rivers is north up Hwy 10 and west on Hwy 25. Make sure you pinch the barbs on all the hooks, the whole province is barbless only. Live minnows are allowed but only with a permit and you're only allowed to keep the alive for 3 days, the timeframe specifide on the permit. Salted Minnows are the most available bait. Woody's hasn't been in business for a number of years.

For more current info, you could try contacting some people through the one of the Manitoba Fishing Forums. Most of the forums are Winnipeg/Red River/Lake Winnipeg orintated, but there are some members from Westman area that frequent the forums, that may be able to help.