All time low

snackpack5150

Just when you think you have seen it all.....first some insight to my RANT. Moved from Cambridge,Ont to the Land "o" Lakes area in Eastern Ont and live on Big Gull Lake. We have been here since last March and love it,when we first got here saw a few ice huts on the lake and would see guys out on snow machines,atv's etc things you would see when ice fishing of course.

Well here we go.... last week the local REDNECK Society must have had a brainstorm and decided lets make a little settlement on BIG Gull Lake and do some fishing and other things like driving our dodge hemi's on the ice at night and do doughnuts and party. Well the convoy of old broke down duct taped trailers started to arrive Friday afternoon,night and Saturday.

So if you can imagine you have your ice hut out on the lake it's peacefull you see 3 or 4 other huts spaced out on the ice and all of a sudden you have 13 full size trailers out on the ice and the only purpose for these things is to stay warm as they all have been gutted and woodstoves installed and to mix your drinks and store your booze and maybe some fishing equipment.

We walk our dog every morning and this morning we had decided to take a walk out on the lake,well I would really hate to be sterotyped as a fisherman due to these jerks,I can't believe how people can leave so much garbage,beer bottles,cans,cups energy drink bottles,food wrapers just thrown on the ice/snow. To think I will want to fish this huge lake this spring and summer like thousands of others..but knowing what I see on the surface of the hard water will end up in the water once the thaw happens.

I really don't understand this type of behaviour in some people I guess it's just plain boring to sit at home and have a few drinks and BBQ a few dogs with your buddy's...so instead lets load up the traliers and put them on the lake and who gives a rats ass of the mess,noise and overall distruction we do to everyones surroundings,oh I forgot they might try there hand at fishing...I DOUBT IT.

Well that's my RANT

Good for you snackpac. Many complain but few do something about it. I learned something last week when talking to an outfitter out at St. Williams ice fishing. It is illegal to possess alcohol while on the ice unless you are on private property. Never thought about it before but it makes sense. I have consumed a few pops or a bit of jigging fluid in the hut, and when there were CO's in ancient times I know they saw a few containers in our hut but never mentioned it, and we didn't have 24's piled 2 high outside the hut. It would be the same as fishing from shore and having a few in the cooler, can't possess or consume in a public place. So a simple thing to do would be report it to the authorities when these hoopleheads can't quietly have one or two. Seems some people act like they have never seen alcohol before and abuse it leaving a mess for others to live with or put the publics safety well below their need to get hammered.

Sounds like the good old local boys kicking off the season with a party but it probably wont happen every weekend?

This happens on Simcoe all the time.

Your best bet would be to call the MNR and OPP.

They work together on Simcoe all the time so I would think that it would be the same where you are as long they have time to co-ordinate.

Or talk to your local MNR and just make them awere of whats going on.

Nothing worse than a bunch of people acting like morrons..

Good luck.

Edited by saltydawg

yeah but I can't tell if they have a designated driver or not

we had cops tell us that they would not lay charges for drinking

if the had an outhouse, bed and able to cook something, cause if they are staying on the ice, the cops do consider it a residence just like camping or on a boat...

yeah but I can't tell if they have a designated driver or not

we had cops tell us that they would not lay charges for drinking

if the had an outhouse, bed and able to cook something, cause if they are staying on the ice, the cops do consider it a residence just like camping or on a boat...

They have to actually be using those things. Lol it's not just a free pass to get loaded cuz you have a porta potty closed off from your hut and a blanket on the floor.

that happens on many big lakes welcome to the country.

as for booze your ice hut (registered ) is considered part of your property so can't imagine they can lay a charge for booze in the hut cause my toilet is back at the house.

I have no issues with dragging a pile of beer out to my hut but also always walking from my house to my fishing spots on the lake and brininging my emptys back .

Have had neighbours move from the big smoke and somehow they always expect it quiet, but but between boats, pwcs chainsaws atv sleds hunting ect country life is anything but