Floating Dock with Blue Barrels Plans

flyfisherguy

Hi

I am looking for building plans to assemble a floating dock, using blue barrels for floatation. I want to find a complete plan so that I can know how many barrels I would need. Ideally, I'd like to have the deck of the dock to be about 12"-16" from the water surface. I would like the size of the dock to be at least 8'x16'.

Also, does anyone know of a cheap source for metal hinges and dock hardware?

Thanks

flyfisherguy

If you're going that route.... install the barrels under the dock perpendicular to the dock length. Use seatbelt webbing, or cable, and run it around a support.. and then around each barrel at the narrow points at top and bottom.. then over a support.. then over the next barrel.. etc. That way you can roll the dock in and out of the water simply by leaving the straps/cables just slightly loose. This allows the barrels to roll, but still be retained.

my lakefront is in a ep zone (environmentally protected spawning grounds) thus i need a floating dock as well! i think im goin to mount 2 poles on either side of the ramp 2' from shore just to give it a touch more stability, but i too would like spome advice on the best design possible. Im thinking 2x8'x8' sections connected should be big enpough to hold many people!