Actually went fishing :)

Bernie

I'll admit it, I'm not much for ice fishing.

I'd sooner take it easy, sitting on the couch in front of the woodstove, pounding on the keyboard while watching some dumb movie out of the corner of my eye.

My good friend Fishnsled brought his truck in for a checkover at my shop on Friday, so I asked if he would like to spend the rest of the weekend at the cottage seeing as he was up here anyway. He didn't turn me down :)

After checking over his fine Ford machine, we picked up some grub and headed out on the frozen big pond of Nipissing.

With the mild weather we experienced last weekend the usual access on to the lake was iffy. So we went out at another location and made the trip across without any problem with our vehicles.

It was around -20 when we arrived at the cottage, just a little chilly.

We unloaded our gear and fired up the heat. About an hour later it was getting comfortable.

Before leaving the house to go out to the cottage, I raided the freezer for a couple special items for supper.

A partridge and a venison heart, both of which Will had never tried.

I'm not a great cook and overdid the spice a little, but I thought it was generally OK

Served that up with some baked spuds and a can of corn. I don't think either one of us had a snack after eating all that.

Will was up pretty early to make it up here but I still had to call it a night before him.

The next day we headed in to pick up a couple dozen minnows and then headed out to see if we could find a pickereye.

We went out to a reef I sometimes fish that had no shacks surrounding it. Once we drilled some holes and located the edge of the reef we set our lines.

Will is always prepared for anything fishing related. He's always has the right stuff for the job.

A sharp ice auger that starts and full of fuel, chairs to sit on, fishing poles, ice scoops and much more.

He plunked his sonar on the hole he was jigging and there were fish surrounding his jig right away. But no bites.

I suspect they were not-so-hungry perch.

It was a fabulous day.

The sun was bright and only a hint of a wind from the northwest.

As the afternoon progressed cloud banks developed to the north and south. Snow was plainly visible coming out of the clouds to the north and suspect the same from the dark ones to the south, yet the sun continued to shine where we were.

You notice I did not mention catching a fish yet?

Thats because to that point, there really wasn't any.

I was the first one to haul in a small pickerel, think it was around 4PM. Will brought up another a few minutes later the same size.

He said his was bigger, but we threw both of them back, so it really didn't matter. :)

Think it was a little after 5 when I hooked a keeper. and there were a few hits and misses in a very short period of time.

But we still only took the one home.

The shacks in the distance didn't appear to be too active either.

The fish were biting well in January from what I had heard, but had shut off in the last week. Not sure if that is why we did so poorly or if we were just not in the right spot.

It was good to spend the time on the ice, haven't done it for a couple years, maybe 3.

Glad Will coaxed me out for the day.

Thanks Will, a better friend I could not have.

Edited by Bernie

Very nice recap to the weekend Bernie.

I'll be the first to admit that when Bernie said partridge I thought awesome! When he said venison heart I was a little (OK very) apprehensive about what I was about eat. I'm willing to try anything once if the opportunity presents itself and do enjoy venison so what the heck. Bernie cooked up a storm in the kitchen while I pondered what I was about to dine on....better have a beer handy to wash it down I thought....maybe two just in case. :D Soon the call was made.."Come and get Will!" and I made my way to the kitchen. The smell of the meal ahead was very good. First the partridge....Delicious!!! Next the venison and it was just as good. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite of the fine meal that Bernie had prepared and would not hesitate to eat either again.

Saturday morning came and I was to be meeting a friend over at their cottage for the rest of the weekend. The forecast was not looking to promising for a good drive up from the city. So we rescheduled and the invite was made to stay with Bernie for the rest of the weekend, can't say no to that! :) It was great to get you on the ice Bernie, had a fantastic time hanging out, shooting the breeze, enjoying the beautiful weather and catching a couple of fish. Can't wait to do it again!!

The things a guy will do to get his truck fixed!!! :whistling:

Sounds like a good time.... I should get there some day.. but I'll bring the steaks! lol

LOL! I was quoted a ridiculous amount for a repair Wayne and Bernie agreed to take a look at it. After walking around the truck with him and having him access the problem to which he tells me. "There is nothing wrong Will." I don't know who was more upset by the fact that the service was not need to begin with, myself or Bernie. (He hates it when shops take advantage of their customers) Saved me a small fortune for which I am very grateful. (Can't thank you enough!!) As for food Wayne, I highly recommend the heart. lol!

Not a big picture taking weekend but here's a couple. First - A view I never get tired of.

P1010159.jpg

And although no pictures were taken while fishing, I snapped this of my fish and chip dinner. So yes it did happen Christopher. :P:lol:

P1010161.jpg

Thanks Will, a better friend I could not have.

Likewise Bernie!!!

Edited by fishnsled

It's worth the drive to Powasson especially when you save a ton o cash!!!

Thanks for the report, you guys needed your good luck charm for the Pickereyes... a certain bass playing headhunter would have put you guys right on the fish! LOL

Okay, that certain person would probabaly have kept you guys on the couch, watching movies! LMAO

Glad you had fun, no one can claim you don't have a heart anymore WIll!

See you in a couple of weeks Bernie!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

you guys know how to bread a walleye! I need to learn that.

I just made that one up Chad. Flour, Panko Bread Crumbs (about equal parts) and your favourite spices. In this case I used the Club House Citrus Blast. Dip the fish in an egg and milk wash, then into the bag of dry ingredients. Then repeat and repeat. I think the fish got 3 or 4 coats of the crumbs and it turned out great.

It's worth the drive to Powasson especially when you save a ton o cash!!!

Thanks for the report, you guys needed your good luck charm for the Pickereyes... a certain bass playing headhunter would have put you guys right on the fish! LOL

Okay, that certain person would probabaly have kept you guys on the couch, watching movies! LMAO

Glad you had fun, no one can claim you don't have a heart anymore WIll!

See you in a couple of weeks Bernie!

HH

It is certainly worth the drive to Powassan just to see Bernie, anything else is just a bonus. Friday was great just hanging out in the shop as well, even checked out the new boat shop. Awesome to see the guys working on those cedar strip boats, incredible craftsmanship. As for the fishing Joe, we'll see how you do in a couple of weeks. lol! As for having a heart Joe, I only have half as Bernie had the other half. LOL!!