Old fish finder's

chris f.

Hey guys.. i have an old hummingbird LCR400ID portable. it was my dads, he got it for Christmas one year in the early 90's. it was barely used, but it works great. runs on 2x 6V lantern batteries or it has a 12v lighter plug as well. it has a 16 degree transducer. does anyone know if there is an easy way to rig it up for ice fishing? it has a suction cup type mount for moving from boat to boat ect. or does hummingbird have a replacement ducer for the ice? i will get a few pics of it up in a few hours.

thanks in advance,

Chris F.

Lots of guys have rigged their regular transducers to use on the ice.

DSCN0233.jpg

The other end (not sure why I didn't take a photo of it???) has a simple hinge attached to another piece of wood. Most "newer" hummingbirds do have the same transducer attachment but I don't know about an older model. :dunno:

I used mine for year on the ice ...and it worked like a charm.

I actually screwed the transducer (where is screws onto the suction cup onto an old hockey stick shaft and made a little T at the top with a single screw so I cold fold/turn it flat in the Trunk

Worked like a charm (the stick was only about 36" but that was plenty for where I fish.

I started ice fishing with the same finder sir.. it was the best one i ever used.

And yes it has to at least be laying flat on the surface of the water. In real clear, smooth, black ice, my transducer used to read through the ice.. no holes! My new ones won't do that. :(

Edited by Rich

X2 on making your own bracket. The disposable latern batteries get expensive in the long-run...you can buy 6V rechargeable batteries from most hobby stores, involves some simple wiring work though. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know how to convert to the rechargeables as I have step-wise pics (generously sent to me by another member on this site). Look for this type of battery or similar...

http://www.amazon.com/4-5H-Lead-Acid-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B000FCRUH4

I started ice fishing with the same finder sir.. it was the best one i ever used.

And yes it has to at least be laying flat on the surface of the water. In real clear, smooth, black ice, my transducer used to read through the ice.. no holes! My new ones won't do that. :(

that unit is still great... mine does read thru the ice if its solid and has no air pockets or crap in it. but most times it gets a bad reading... it has a speed control for the ducer so i can play with it, and it does pick up my larger jigs and spoons :) seems simple enough to rig up, i took the suction cup off and have a hockey stick ready.. thanks for the tips