looking for info on frozen perch

skinny

ok so Sunday I went ice fishing with a buddy. turned out to be a long day that was great but little fish.

anyway I draged home 5 perch. When I arived homethe wife was having a gathering of friends from work so i wasn't going to filet the fish

i stuck them in a bag and stuffed them in the freezer to do later

well i forgot them till today

so can I take them out thaw them filet them and refreeze them or should I filet and cook

there isn't enough for the family to have so I need to becareful of when if I need to cook right away

I'd suggest you thaw and eat... Most meat can't handle double freezing without losing flavor or posing a health risk (like chicken). Its only 5 small ones, so take 'em out the day before you eat them, filet and throw in pan right away. No issues there.

I've kept full walleye in my fridge for a couple days and the meat was still ok and didn't taste any different

How many times do fish freeze solid on the ice, thaw in the sink, and freeze again? All the time.

No prob.

Would you do that with chicken thighs? Poultry/fish possess the same dangers of salmonella and E.coli and yes they are far more common than admitted from said situations ... Like fish freezing, thawing, then being re-frozen. Blood goes bad when it thaws... Fast.