Jan 22 ice fishing near Huntsville, sorry no pics.

wuchikubo

Background:

This was a planned trip up to a lake that none of us, I or anyone from our group has ever been to before.

After visiting several websites for information on some suitable target lakes, we were down to 3. Two of which had topographic info, the third was a stocked splake lake. Of the three, I had decided to try one of the two and have the third as a back up should the first lake deemed not worthy of trying.

Jan 22.

Waking up at 2:55 am to get my fishing gear sorted and packed into the vehicle. 3 guys with hand pulled sleds and gear into one vehicle and off we were at 5:15am, morning temperature was -18C, drive up to the lake was cold and getting colder. When we got to the lake the windows were frosted on the inside with the vehicle heat at max. Located a spot to park and access the lake at about 9am after trying some places that looked like public boat launch only to find unmaintained roads. Temperature was -26C, taking off the gloves was met with stingingly cold wind.

This small lake had snowmobile trail marking on shore and on the lake. No body was out there fishing or snowmobiling this colder morning. Using the topo information in my head, we set out to locate an area between a shallow shoal and the drop off to the deepest part of the lake. First drilled hole was registering 38 FOW on a Hummingbird, 2nd hole was about 20 ft closer to shore, 30-35 FOW on the Vex. There was about 10 inches of ice and 4 inches of snow on top of that.

The Vex showed activity in both holes. About 15 mins of jigging proved fruitful for the first fish of the year for me and my PB haliburton laker 6.1 lbs, 57 cm, female, stocked (clipped/missing fin). About another hour passes and nothing to show for but having a lot of fish follow showing on the Vex. Then comes a light hit and a 16 cm perch which was quickly returned down the hole. Fishing slowed so I went to drill some more holes in some deeper water. 70-75 FOW and not a stir for 15mins on the screen. Drilled a hole in 20 FOW only to find the screen lighting up with small markings (baitfish or weeds most likely). Decided to head back to my first spot.

Finally, a the last lake trout caught by me was about 10 inches and was subsequently released.

Although the temperature was minus 26, we didn't feel we needed to use our pop-up cube tents or heaters until it was closer to the time to leave (about 2pm) when the wind started to pick up.

At about 3:30 pm we called it quits and packed up everything back for the drive home. We didn't make it to the splake lake.

All-in-all not a bad day, we checked out a new lake and found some fish.

Thanks to a couple of members for providing their insight when I was still deciding.

Thank you for reading.

Stan

Good to hear that you're still alive and kicking Stan!!!

Hey Wayne, it's been a long time since I was more active on this board. For the past year and half I've been on physiotherapy rehab due to reinjuring a 15 year old car accident when I drove to NFLD in an RV. The past year has been bad for me (business wise) and I haven't had many chances to consider fishing. But since I'm feeling about 96%, I figured I might as well try and get rid of the fishing itch (the itch has been aggravated since visiting this board, ;) ). You've had it even worse in my mind, I hope everything works out for you, Leah, and your daughter. Always good thoughts and well wishings to you and your family when I think about you and your family!

16" perch! Bruiser. Nice report

16" would have been nicer, but it was only 16cm :0

You're tougher than I am, Stan. Thanks for the detailed report.

Nah Roy, may be just crazier. As you may recall, I don't take many pics, so my reports tend to be a bit less interesting. I could've taken a pic of the minivan while it was all iced up from driving there though. :) Be well my friend.

Good to hear from you Stan.

Thanks for the report.

Hey Brian, as for the report any time, how's the conditions up your way? Looks like the Kemp out to BBP seems locked up on the MODIS.

My reports are not great like Drew's or Solo's but I don't mind sharing info. :)

Take care and hopefully we'll meet up on the lake.

Hey Brian, as for the report any time, how's the conditions up your way? Looks like the Kemp out to BBP seems locked up on the MODIS.

My reports are not great like Drew's or Solo's but I don't mind sharing info. :)

Take care and hopefully we'll meet up on the lake.

It,s getting there Stan. The weekend will be the tell tale,or is that TAIL.LOL

Anytime you want to hook up,give a shout.