Manual Ice Augers

Acountdeleted

I make sure once the hole is drilled the guard goes back on the Fin-Bore III. It's so easy to dull/destroy those blades. I'm on my third season with a lot of holes drilled, still cuts through ice like butter!

Exactly. Drill the hole and put the guard back on. Dont drill a half hole for it to stand in. Thats KILLER to the blades. On those colder days,dont just lay it down. The water will freeze on the blades and do the same damage.

I'm the odd ball here... purchased a Walmart special 4 - 5 years ago (Sub Zero 6") may be more, can't remember and it still going strong :) Like others mention... don't bang the blades or you're looking for a workout :)

I used to own an 8" one, can't remember the make... was a CTC special, blue shaft with red handles and didn't last long :wallbash: now with the 6" find it much easier and really don't need bigger for the species of fish I target :)

I am surprised to hear that folks have had such poor luck with the Nils cutting head. I have had mine for many seasons now, with thousands of holes cut and it is running strong! It is a 6 inch. I don't let others use it though, and the guard goes on as soon as I am done drilling! It is actually the auger that caused me to give up my gas auger. I find I can fit most anything I need to through a 6 inch hole, although I don't fish lakers a whole lot anymore, I am sure a real hog would give me trouble! Anyway... Different strokes! At $50 I am going to see if my local Costco has any on sale! I could always use a backup!!

Edited by porkpie