Adventure in the valley of exchange and purchase (Outaouais valley)

Marc Thorpe

Adventure in the valley of exchange and purchase (Outaouais valley)

The journey commenced with a drive in foggy snowy covered scenery with the appearance of several appearances of the wildlife that abounds that valley ,coyotes,deer and wild turkeys

IMG_0139.JPG

A research of open season lakes was done prior and Saturday morning we determined we would adventure on a Nowhere lake none of us had fished which had an open winter ice fishing season for Salvelinus fontinalis (Speckled trout).

Punching holes to get the lay of the lake and determine depths

IMG_0328.JPG

Paul Robitaille and Mathieu Lafontaine prowl the ice

after some 50- 60 holes punched

the epic battles commence 11 for 20 to 25 bites in 6 hrs

IMG_0267_2.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Little break for home made chicken noodle soup and smoked ribs on the ice !!!!

the action continues,
drill more holes

IMG_0240.JPG

the action continues in the valley of exchanges and purchases

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

customary to Paul's hospitality ,he would not let us leave without a healthy breakfast

great weekend with Paul and Math,tks guys

IMG_0020.JPG

Unfortunately heavy rains put an early end to our weekend of adventure,ice had weakened and crystals within the ice had begun frazzling so we dared not venture out to combat Bronzbacks
— with Paul Robitaille and Mathieu Lafontaine

For more pics

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=401127526640916&set=pcb.401139756639693&type=1&theater

Be good

Marc

Edited by marc thorpe

Hi Jacques,love fishing up there.Beautifull scenery

Ice was very good saturday,water at the end of the day on the ice ,sunday it was just too iffy

Next time I am up I let you know and see if your free to join us

RodCaster,ya I do use a large auger, we used 8 and 10 icnhers

The ice had gone white and looked very brittle

Good luck this weekend,we use small spoons,tiped with worms

I dont think it mattered,Paul a buddy of mine who lives upthere used small jigs and did equally good

good cold weather is coming in so it will harderden what ever melt and make a nice thick chunk

gonna take 2 -3 days for it to be safe

Hi Jacques,love fishing up there.Beautifull scenery

Ice was very good saturday,water at the end of the day on the ice ,sunday it was just too iffy

Next time I am up I let you know and see if your free to join us

RodCaster,ya I do use a large auger, we used 8 and 10 icnhers

The ice had gone white and looked very brittle

Good luck this weekend,we use small spoons,tiped with worms

I dont think it mattered,Paul a buddy of mine who lives upthere used small jigs and did equally good

good cold weather is coming in so it will harderden what ever melt and make a nice thick chunk

gonna take 2 -3 days for it to be safe

Yes it's beautiful up there for sure.... love it B) It's a great stress reliever for me when going up fishing. Thanks for the info on ice! Haven't been out yet this season and did not know the ice condition up there... now I have a general idea of thickness :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the invite Marc! Would be an honor to meet / join you guys!

Question: Have you ever tried salties for specks?

The reason I ask is some times when their finicky, switching to salties triggers them to react and bite. Other times worms works great or Gulp products such as paste in pink, fish fry or 1" minnows.

Tight lines

Jacques

Mike B,the first pic shows how mythical that morning was

Joey,myself love th auger shot

Hi George hope all is well and wood dust is covering you :)

Jacques ,I have used Fry Minnows,small tubes ,small spoons (tipped with worms or maggots)

Not sure what you refer to as salties

They can be finicky

Generally I have found when they are not bitting when there is motion,idling the bait/stop and wait after vigorous jigging they seem to take it.

It seemed the way to get em this weekend,they would not take it while the bait was moving

you had to jig short but agressively then iddle the bait,then they would take bite

we punched some 50 to 60 holes,kepts moving as they were scattered

....Jacques ,I have used Fry Minnows,small tubes ,small spoons (tipped with worms or maggots)

Not sure what you refer to as salties

They can be finicky

Generally I have found when they are not bitting when there is motion,idling the bait/stop and wait after vigorous jigging they seem to take it.

It seemed the way to get em this weekend,they would not take it while the bait was moving

you had to jig short but agressively then iddle the bait,then they would take bite

we punched some 50 to 60 holes,kepts moving as they were scattered

Marc, salties I refer to are frozen minnows in salt... I use those on my dead sticks and more often then not, specks just like that presentation over jigging spoons or jigs.

I've even got some on my jigging rods while they were in the rod holder.... go figure :rolleyes:

jaqcues Paul did use frozen dead minnows

Worms or dead bait did not make a diffrence on that day

Tks for the explanation

As for dead baiting or idling bait on your tip ups,after last weeknd,It does not surprise me

Paul had some set up same way and got some action

Dax, Frabill has been in invloved with my services,my muskie research projects and my educational web show FishFactor.TV along with any others for many years