5xdsi

jedimaster

Just wondering if anyone here bought a 5x dsi and has used it on the ice. I played around with it last time and couldn't get it anywhere near what I was hoping. Let me know if you tried one and how you found it.

I have it...took some pics of what i was seeing.

I could see fish fine...it just a lot of junk as well that i couldnt clean up

I have it...took some pics of what i was seeing.

I could see fish fine...it just a lot of junk as well that i couldnt clean up

fishfinder.jpg

Clearly shows perch rising but i didnt know how to get rid of the lines. Maybe trasducer needs to be in horizontal position.

ff2.jpg

If youre using the transducer from your boat, set it horizontally like it would be on your transom. Also, make sure that the transducer is completely below the bottom surface of the ice. Marko's screen shot looks like he's getting a return and echoes from something close to the transducer.

The transducer is long like a cigar not a normal one since its a down scanner. Holding it horizontal would shoot the beam to the other side of the lake. :)

There is no page 22 of my manual... http://www.lowrance.ca/upload/Lowrance/Documents/Manuals/MARK-ELITE_SONAR_OM_~%5B988-10016-001%5D~_w.pdf

As you can see on page 4 the DSI models can only adjust contrast, the other non dsi models can adjust the sensitivity.

Edited by jedimaster

Yea these models dont have the sensitivity adjustment...just the contrast.

I played with the contrast as well...managed to "bleach" the lines but they were still there. I couldn't see my jig on it...i thought i could on few occasions but sometimes i think my eyes are playing tricks on me.

There were few guys fishing around me, so it could the some kind of interference being picked up. I also noticed that lines shifted up and down as i pulled the transducer up and down. I am going to have to build some kind of a holder for a transducer so its being kept in downright position instead of just floating down in the hole.

I could definitely tell when pike would move in ....the blob that fish are supposed to be is much wider and thicker then the perch ones.

I am going to try to find some deeper water and test it. I`ll post the pics.

Little holder i build from my gf`s old shoe rack....wait when she sees it hahah

Jig1.jpg

Nothing fancy...just to keep it straight downright the hole.

jig2.jpg

Jig3.jpg

I think transducer is sticking out enough..but can be adjusted easily. Thats a bad cat as well...he knows better lol

Yea these models dont have the sensitivity adjustment...just the contrast.

I played with the contrast as well...managed to "bleach" the lines but they were still there. I couldn't see my jig on it...i thought i could on few occasions but sometimes i think my eyes are playing tricks on me.

There were few guys fishing around me, so it could the some kind of interference being picked up. I also noticed that lines shifted up and down as i pulled the transducer up and down. I am going to have to build some kind of a holder for a transducer so its being kept in downright position instead of just floating down in the hole.

I could definitely tell when pike would move in ....the blob that fish are supposed to be is much wider and thicker then the perch ones.

I am going to try to find some deeper water and test it. I`ll post the pics.

I think the deeper water will be the trick,

I bet the lines are surface clutter because you're only in 5' of water?

Thats how it is supposed to go. Its long like that on purpose. if you hook it up to the suntion thingy you can see its supposed to be vertical not horrizontal. Looks like you damaged your thumb biulding that contraption. :)

here is part of an email from lowrance with regards to this unit...

How are you using this product. The optimal performance for this product is when it is scanning the bottom at slow speeds (3-5 miles per/hr). if you are using this product for stationary fishing it will not give the best picture.

I am not too sure why anyone would want a portable version of a fish finder if they aren't using it while stationary. Oh well. I'll have to make do. Let me know how your elbow contraption works.

Edited by jedimaster

Here is a follow up email from lowrance...

you can play with the contrast setting, this is the sensitivity setting on this model. Fish on this model will appear more as dots as opposed to arches. The brighter the dot the larger the fish. DSI models are not recommended for still fishing, we would rather go with a traditional sonar in this instance.

Thank you for choosing Navico products!

Oh well for 110 bucks, I will still give it a whirl for ice fishing anyway with the transducer pointed in the right direction this time. Gonna have to fab up a mount though for sure as I am not gonna sit there with my hand in the water holding the thing in the right direction. I am hoping this will work good for open water as It'll be mounted in the boat. I do alot of putting around at low speeds looking for structure so it should be great for that.

Edited by jedimaster