Deer Sausage

nancur373

Santa brought me a sausage grinder/stuffer attachments for the kitchenaid mixer for Christmas. Had to try it today.

7 lb venecin

3 lb pork

1/4 cup ground pepper

1/4 cup marjoram

1/4 cup salt

1/2 garlic powder

after grinding twice and mixing spices you add 4 cups of water and mix.

stuff and done

made 40 links

Sausage_zps17d730f4.jpg

will bbq a few later and let you know if it was a success or a bust

They look great, but I think they might be a little dry. I always do 50/50 pork/game to get nice juicy sausage. Let us know how they turn out!

S.

1 lb of very fatty pork will give the same result as 5 lbs of "lean" pork without hiding as much of the flavor from the wild game. how can you say his links will be dry without knowing what cut of pork he used and how he'll cook it? the fat content looks about right to me :dunno:

i just took a dozen rabbits out of the freezer today that will soon be sausages and pepperettes :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Well anyone who makes sausage isn't going to use lean pork......that kind of defeats the purpose of adding pork!

They could very well be the best sausages ever, but I'm my experience, too much pork is better than too little. Nothing worse than dry sausages!

S.

Well anyone who makes sausage isn't going to use lean pork......that kind of defeats the purpose of adding pork!

They could very well be the best sausages ever, but I'm my experience, too much pork is better than too little. Nothing worse than dry sausages!

S.

people use all kinds of different cuts of pork to alter the moisture and texture of their meat sticks. using cuts that are more fat than meat will give you "run down your chin" juicy while a leaner cut will still add moisture without making the sausage greasy.

then you have the different sizes of dies on your grinder that allows you to pick the size of fat chunks. a finer grind provides a more even distribution of fat while larger chunks will provide those awesome little pockets of yummy pig fat so many people love :thumbsup_anim:

i've heard nothing but good thing's from those who enjoy my juicy sausages made with a 2:1 mix. the only thing worse than dry sausages are "deer" sausages that taste like pig :whistling:

people use all kinds of different cuts of pork to alter the moisture and texture of their meat sticks. using cuts that are more fat than meat will give you "run down your chin" juicy while a leaner cut will still add moisture without making the sausage greasy.

then you have the different sizes of dies on your grinder that allows you to pick the size of fat chunks. a finer grind provides a more even distribution of fat while larger chunks will provide those awesome little pockets of yummy pig fat so many people love :thumbsup_anim:

i've heard nothing but good thing's from those who enjoy my juicy sausages made with a 2:1 mix. the only thing worse than dry sausages are "deer" sausages that taste like pig :whistling:

I used the fine die. Maybe next time I'll do the coarse