Float Lathe

bassjnkie

When I turn cork handles for rods I just use a drill in my vice, then build a small support for the other end of the dowel, rod, etc. to spin on. It works pretty good, but I suppose it could be pretty dangerous if something got messed up. You can find a small wood lathe on kijiji or some similar site for pretty cheap I believe.

Good Luck thumbsup_anim.gif

Edit: Found a picture that is something similar to what I use to help you visualize it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/Ruger64/lathe.jpg

Edited by DundasSteelheader

I built one out of old battery powered drills. :D

The tail stock is just the carrier bearing and chuck while the head stock has the motor in it.

They are a pair og the original 7.2V Makita's that had the batteries built in. I cut up the drill housings to fit my needs and also found that I needed cooling as I am running it with either a 12V battery or power supply. I made cooling holes and added 2, 12 volt computer power supply fans.

It was a little work but works great and does double duty as a cork lathe for making my rod handles.

When I turn floats I have devised a great little arbor to hold the balsa blanks. It is a piece of 6-32 threaded rod and several aluminum threaded sleeves. The slevees hold the material tight and protect the rod when in the chuck. Here's a pic of the lathe and I'll try to remember to take one of the arbor tonight. ;)

Cork_Lathe.jpg

Daniel, I don't know if I'd bother with a do it yourself conversion. I have two lathes here. Here's the one that I use for making baits. And, as luck would have it, it's on sale at CTC. Check it out.

http://www.canadiant...t.jsp?locale=en

This is the same one that I use for making floats as well as turning cork handles and wood reel seats. Works great, and it's Mastercraft so CTC will replace it with no problems should it croak on you.

If you're serious, this is the best $100 you'll spend.