Handleing Musky (more Pic added)

Walshskie

And I suppose you can paint an entire room with one brush stroke?

Catch and release took a long time to get where it is today. Proper handling and awareness will take time too. It's not just St. Clair; it's just easy to point fingers when 2 out of every 3 fish caught are trophy caliber and it attracts so many anglers.

Sorry, I made it clear on the last Musky post (that mysteriously dissapeared) that its obviously not all St Clair anglers have bad handling practices... Unfortunately though, a lot do, including a bunch of the so called experts ( charter guys)

And 2 out of every 3 are trophy caliber eh? Have fun with your 39 inch trophys! Ha ha

This is a really good thread. Don't throw it down the toilet Bladeburner. Your point is well made about the charter guys. Everytime I see a fishing show on St Clair with the charter guys torpedoing musky while still trolling it rolls my guts but if you paint everyone with the same brush you are going unfairly judge a good number of people.

Great post.

I've got the exact same stowmaster net. I do alot of solo musky fishing and find the net will fit right into the boat cleat but I like your idea of putting it in the salty. I'll have to give that a try. Knipex are the best, I had those canadian tire ones initially but if the budget allows it get the knipex, way better and way easier cutting hooks.

It is also intented for guys with lots of experiance to share and so we can all learn. All ready I've learn somthing new about the Boga. That when its used in the net to help controll a musky I think in this way it could be very usefull tool.

I hooked myself so badly once with such a big hook that I was show and tell for the doc and nurses at the hospital. The boga was pricey but it really helps me control the fishs head and gain leverage when cutting or pulling hooks. I love it and don't fear hooks like I did after my injury. My friends have noticed it cut the release time considerably and it is so much safer.

Great post btw. Thanks.

Walshskie.. great info.. . the comments that wanna bash l.s.c. , maybe you can comment on all the positive action.. with over 3 million folks that can use the lake as home water, dont you think l.s.c. woulda been deceased years ago. lol.. great thoughts and kudos to all that care

Again great post an info, as for the water temp issues with release, is very true, but each fish is different, and ive had fish in 46 and 52 degree water that took an hour to release as well, with proper musky gear, which usually is not an issue, spend the time with the fish, make sure it is able to support itself in the water, if it is swimming on the surface that is ok, still stay with the fish, circling it if you have to, to make sure it does not get hit by another boater, and do not leave the fish till it is ready and has taken off to the depts where she came from. This can take time, but you put the time in to catch the fish, take the time to ensure its safely back where she came from. Education by knowlegable anglers is the best way to ensure our kids and grandkids will be able to enjoy the fishing opportunities that we enjoy today, on that note i hope to practice my musky release techniques tomorrow.

Great thread Walshskie great tips and points you have there.

Some great points here about picture taking I try and turn the boat so the sun is behind the camera not always able to do it if its to rough out but something to keep in mind.

Get your rods and lures out of the way so you can take the fish out and put it back with out worrying about the hooks on the floor of the boat.

I have my camera on the base for my tri pod before I set my lines if I am trolling or before I start casting so I am ready to go right away. I also have the legs extended on my tri pod and the head of it angled so that all I have to do is put the camera on the tri pod and widen the legs.

I have my camera set for 10 burst/timer with 30 seconds this gives me 30 seconds to get the fish out of the net (no need to rush I start counting the seconds in my head and start to pull the fish out at about 22-25 seconds) and ready for the first shot then it takes 10 pictures over the next 10 seconds awesome for funny shots of your fishing partner.

The Brat was making fun of me so I tail slapped her

IMG_0141.jpg

Dancing her life away with another fish

IMG_0150.jpg

wedding picture

IMG_0153.jpg

For my bolt cutters I attach them to the boat at the start of my day they are hooked to my down easter rod holders and can reach any place in the boat I use a 25’ phone cord that you can get a the $$$ store. It helps me to not worry about dropping them into the water I can let them go and get my hands out of the way of hooks when the fish thrashes.

releasetools.jpg

For my net I attach a rope to it as soon as I net the fish this way I can work on the fish with out worrying about loosing the net and I also remove the handle before taking the picture I have had it in the way a few times and find this works best for me. I usually release the fish on the opposite side of the net but did not in this picture where you can see the net in the water

IMG_0190.jpg

Boga grips I don’t use them and don’t really like them, as they seem to be used the wrong way to often. I like the idea that Landry had to help handle them in the net that is a good idea but to often you see many people doing the LSC hold as many like to call it.

I fish LSC and don’t take offence to it but know many people have not been here but only see the videos that come from the T.V. shows and think were all like that and start the chant about LSC musky anglers.

The T.V. shows sicken me I have had very heated words with some of these guys about there practice of release and care for the fish at the time I did not think it would go anywhere but in the last two seasons these big boats have started using HUGE live wells called FishThanks to help revive the fish after the fight then they take the pictures when the fish is revived and release the fish. Yes they still use Bogas and torpedo fish but what can you do other them talk to them???

I like to think that with the talks that friends of mine have had and public message boards slamming them for the way they handle fish it had some part to do with the changes they made. I know many if not all of them are very passionate about these fish but can not stop there boats for a boat side release and when they are running charters with 4-10 paid customers they have to keep the boat moving or clear 10 + lines each fish.

Im sure more will come to me but I just wanted to add this bit for now.

Regarding the bump boards, you can take a 60 inch piece of green plastic watermain pipe, cut it evenly lengthwise in half, so you have 2 60 inch pieces of pipe now, cap one end of each pipe with Lexan, or Acrylic, and place a stick on 60 inch tape down the length of the pipe, with the 0 starting at the capped end, do the same with the other, and you will have 2 60 inch bump boards, and the musky will sit comfortably in the curved plastic pipe for proper measurements, you can also put a seamstress tape before placing the musky in the bump board for a girth if desired, there is minimal to no protective layer lost because of the plastic pipe, been partially submerged in water while measurements are taking place, and the pipe been smooth as well.

Ref the comment made earlier on gloves. I use the nitrite dipped gloves. They're cheap and you don't get torn up from gill rakers and such. Also gives you a better more confident grip on the fish.

I get mine at Princess Auto when they're on sale for about $3. SAIL also had them in a big bulk bin for a few bucks a while back. Very worthwhile having.

Saw them in the dollar store today for $2.

Edited by Lunker Larry

another tip is keep your boat ORGANIZED!! i learned this one the hard way.... i was up on lake of the woods and had 10-15 lures out of the boxes and laying on the front of my casting deck. many were hung up on the front of it etc and several directly on the deck.

after landing a 55 inch muskie my adrenaline was through the roof. i shuffled all the lures off to the side so i could give myself room to hold the fish and release it etc. when i went to pick up the fish i kneeled down on a 9" shallow raider and a treble went past the barb and i also got a magnum bulldawg stuck in my shin...

thankfully i was able to rip both hooks out as i stoked from catching my PB muskie but all of that could have been avoided if i put my lures away after using them

to help keep my lures organized when out fishing i cut out a bunch of spots on a bucket so i can just put the lures back in easily and still be able to keep them handy. also a good way to store bulldawgs and other lures like them

i have another bucket i put on my casting deck that i drop any lures into after using them so they can dry out and also remain available should i want to use one again that day.

bulldawgs.jpg

Edited by Lunkerhunter

to help keep my lures organized when out fishing i cut out a bunch of spots on a bucket so i can just put the lures back in easily and still be able to keep them handy. also a good way to store bulldawgs and other lures like them

i have another bucket i put on my casting deck that i drop any lures into after using them so they can dry out and also remain available should i want to use one again that day.

I have a strong fetish for Bull Dogs too,

Great net! Fish seem to stay right in there

Great post.

I've got the exact same stowmaster net. I do alot of solo musky fishing and find the net will fit right into the boat cleat but I like your idea of putting it in the salty. I'll have to give that a try. Knipex are the best, I had those canadian tire ones initially but if the budget allows it get the knipex, way better and way easier cutting hooks.