older canoe trip report, NF but outdoorsy

chris.brock

During the long, dark winter, me and a buddy at work decided to do the lower Missinaibi. I had never spent any time outside of work with Eddie. I didn't know if the trip would actualy happen, and if it did, how would we interact together. On a canoe trip, you're basicaly attached at the hip for 10 days. This sort of worried me. As it turns out, the trip happened, Eddie is a great outdoorsman, a friend, and a great guy to spend time with. We had a blast, although things didn't turn out as we planned.

Away we went. Getting last minute supplies (uh, beer) at the Marten River TP

100_1092.jpg

We parked in Cochrane at the train station. We grabbed the bus to Mattice (the canoe was already there). We spent the night at Owen's in Mattice. It was a beautiful morning and we were ready to go.

100_1096.jpg

Owen dropped us off downstream of 2 rapids, and we were off.

100_1098.jpg

The weather was good, we had beer to get rid of, we were running rapids blind, then Beam Rapids put us in our place. Here's Eddie drying off after we dumped. My fishing rod was gone and Eddies leather hat was never to be seen again.

100_1106.jpg

The weather turned, but we were still in good spirits. Camped the first night 15 km above Thunderhouse. The water was high and the current brisk. Paddling was fast and easy, it was just the rapids we had to worry about.

100_1108.jpg

The next day, we made it to Thunderhouse early. We planned on continuing on. We were soaked and cold from the weather and wading/ lining. We ended up staying at Thunderhouse. I think everyone must stay at Thunderhouse. The place is awesome. There's a creepy, humbling vibe there that makes your mind wander and you think of everything from spirituality, and the meaning of life all the way to thinking of nothing at all. It's a magical place. Ask Hap Wilson.

there's been a few accidents (deaths) on the approach to Thunderhouse because of a map with the portage marked on the wrong side of the river, hence the big sign

100_1113.jpg

the high water looked as if it would knock-over Conjuring House

100_1117.jpg

100_1118.jpg

The water was high and fast, we were a little sloppy. The unthinkable happened at the approach to Hell's Gate.

The portage is close to the point of no return. I remember the adrenalin rush of the rapid close to the point of disaster, the manouvering, then the rock, then the flip, then the silence of being underwater with darkness and bubbles.

Surfacing, we grabbed what we could but the canoe stayed far out in the current. I had thoughts of swimming for it, but was already breathing heavy and scared. We watched the canoe bang off the entrance of Hell's Gate, then disappear.

It took awhile for reality to sink in. We portaged all our gear over the 2km portage, with the faint hope that the canoe would be in an eddy below the canyon.

Portage done, no canoe.

We could have hiked out. It likely would have taken days, maybe a couple weeks of bush wacking. We had lost the canoe around 1pm. I had my SPOT, sattelite messenger, and at 7pm, I hit the help button. The chaos and phone calls and Emails ensued back in civilization.

I hit help, then Ok, then help, then Ok etc., in hopes that the people at home, getting the message would somehow understand we were ok, but needed help.

At 9 am the next day, this is what we found.

100_1131.jpg

The fire rangers were cool. They said "we love this stuff, if you need us, call us, anytime!". That made us feel a little better.

100_1126.jpg

Still, we didn't feel all that great about 2 rangers, 2 OPP, and a chopper pilot having to come get 2 dumb asses off the river. In this pic, you can see we're not really proud or happy.

100_1133.jpg

The OPP had alot of questions. "What experience did we have, were we stoned/ drunk, what gear did we have, what river trip experience did we have?". I'm assuming this was to determine if we were going to have to pay for our rescue. I guess they deemed us competent and it was just an accident, because the ride out, in the Hearst Fire Helicopter, was covered by the Crown.

A memorable trip for sure, we're not really proud of it, it's a good story though.

Edited by chris.brock

Actually looking at doing this trip in 2014 or 2015 but what happened to you is kind of my big fear. 99% of my canoeing experience is flat water so before I go I was thinking I need to get some whitewater under my belt.

This definitely confirms it for me, it looks like an amazing place from the pictures, thanks for the report.

Actually looking at doing this trip in 2014 or 2015 but what happened to you is kind of my big fear. 99% of my canoeing experience is flat water so before I go I was thinking I need to get some whitewater under my belt.

This definitely confirms it for me, it looks like an amazing place from the pictures, thanks for the report.

The water was unusually high for us. The river was right up into the alders, making lining and wading difficult. There's quite a few rapids that don't have a portage and have to be run (at least in high water). If you do try it, low water in late August would be a better idea (less bugs too), but low water causes problems below the rail line (Moose River Crossing) though

Geez, Chris, that was plenty scary, a near death experience!!

Torco, As well as taking some ww instruction you'd be welll advised to practice ww skills. Elora Gorge is a place you an practice at least the basic manoevers in a fairly safe environment. Then there's Missinabi Outfitters. They do the upper part of the river, but I don't know if they do the lower part of the river.