Tribbin' Steelies With New Centrepin :)

Aaron Shirley

Although Bronte Creek is pretty much in my backyard, I rarely venture there due to mostly disgust. It is normally packed with guys, many inconsiderate, some just out to rape and pillage roe, others leave trash. It is NOT an enjoyable day for me. I can't stand the sight of it most times. When it really gets colder out and the salmon are gone, it is much better with a much better group of anglers. But until then, I travel a bit and enjoy my time on the water :) Sometimes I wish they would close Bronte Creek completely to fishing from September 1st to November 15th. It wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Anyway, the rivers that I have fished recently have lots of steelhead and few anglers. No trash on the ground and considerate anglers. That makes for an enjoyable day out. I have a new centrepin reel and float rod that I have been enjoying immensely. The Rapala Shift 5" pin and RType 15' float rod has been great for the larger rivers. The fishing has been good but not until I figured out a specific pattern. For some reason, they wanted a single chartreuse TriggerX egg threaded on the line just above the hook with a peach roe bag on the hook on the rivers I fished recently. This is unusual, but hey, steelies can be finicky at times, and it can pay to experiment. I didn't get a bite on roe until I put on the single egg combo, then it was every other drift!!! Blew me away, and I was reminded of something yet again. Do not get complacent and experiment when the typical stuff isn't working.

The fishing for steelies should be good until the rivers freeze now and the salmon and shore trash should be pretty much done.

Here are a few photos, enjoy.

Tribbin_08.jpg

Tribbin_09.jpg

Tribbin_11.jpg

Tribbin_12.jpg

Tribbin_13.jpg

Tribbin_14.jpg

Tribbin_16.jpg

Tribbin_23.jpg

Enjoy some trib chrome before the ice season is here!

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Shirley

Must have been nice to wear in your new gear with those fish, Aaron! Great fish! Good work experimenting with the seemingly endless number of bait combinations too. Glad you found something that really worked for you! How many other combinations did you try before hitting the jackpot?

Nice fish Aaron.

I still have yet to find the trigger eggs anywhere. Some look at me like I have 3 eyes.

Both Sails and BPS. Nada.

Can you give review on the Rapala Shift 5" pin? Pros/cons.

Im looking for a back up,that wont break the bank,but will do the job.

Great report Aaron and good for you dialing them in. I know Natural Sports in Kitchener had lots of the trigger x eggs last time I was in.....I think sail in burlington had them as well but only in white or chartreuse....no orange.

I guess whatever color?,pick your poison!,lots to choose from. Thanks for another tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For sure man. Chartreuse w/sparkles seems to get their attention around here. Every river is different and they all have their days. No prob on the tip. I've hooked fish with a single egg threaded like in aaron's report and a gulp pink worm sticking straight out from it. Some days it's killer.

I guess whatever color?,pick your poison!,lots to choose from. Thanks for another tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For sure man. Chartreuse w/sparkles seems to get their attention around here. Every river is different and they all have their days. No prob on the tip. I've hooked fish with a single egg threaded like in aaron's report and a gulp pink worm sticking straight out from it. Some days it's killer.

I tried various coloured roe bags in different sizes and nadda. Pink single, nada. Finally tried the chart single and roe and it was game on. I've used the retro setup before, but it has been years!

Misfish, the Shift pin is pretty nice. It is much lighter than I expected for a pin that size. It spins well and catches fish. I would recommend it. You may be pleasantly surprised and use it more than you think.

Interesting that you stumbled onto that rig. Seems as though everyone in the province these days is running a bead/bag combo.

Typically an 8 or 10mm trout bead pegged above your hook which is most often baited with a roe bag. Chartreuse is a popular color for the bead as well...

You know what they say right bud? Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while. :rofl2:

Nice fish btw. When are we going to hook up?

Funny Mike lol. I used to use a similar single egg or yarn bag combo many years ago on the Niagara with good results. Don't know what made me try it here but I am glad I did!

On another note I know beads are popular, but I don't use them. Single rubber eggs are so much better for me. I don't need to re-tie to change a colour in cold weather :) Just take the single off and change the colour or put on a 2 or 3 egg cluster. So easy to change the presentation, and they work just as well as beads.

Let's get out soon.