Islander Steelheader Slow Sart Up

Guest ----

Hi guys,

just picked up a lightly used islander steelheader. now that I have it home.....I am comparing it to my old aventa and the okuma seems to startup twice as quick and spin for twice as long. Is there something I can do without upgrading bearings to improve the performance of the islander......or did I get hosed. I've seen videos online of islanders spinning for like 9 min.....will this improve over time?only been pinning a couple years so still very new to the game.

thanks in advance

Remove the bearings and flush the whole reel with water. At a drop or two of sewing machine oil to the bearings. I finally bought some, and it makes a world of difference.

Then again,the bearings maybe be pouched.

Edited by Misfish

Remove the bearings and flush the whole reel with water. At a drop or two of sewing machine oil to the bearings. I finally bought some, and it makes a world of difference.

Then again,the bearings maybe be pouched.

Great advise, is there any type of seal at all in these reels?. Or most as far as you know?

Good advice, but to elaborate a bit further, after removing the bearings soak them in Kerosene first or electric contact cleaner.

They're usually packed with light grease which in fact hinders the performance. Doing these degreases them.

Once you do that then add a couple drops of sewing machine oil and reinstall.

You should see a world of difference.

thanks Guys.....Ok, how do I remove the bearings. Do I need a press? they don't seem to want to come out with my finger? I was told the reel was used once so my guess would be grease on the bearings. it looks brand new.

I don't know if they still offer the free small sample bottle but I use Militec-1 on the bearings of my JW Young and Stanton. I was turned on to it for use as lubricant for my Spyderco and Benchmade folders.

http://www.militec-1.com/

This stuff goes on like a light oil but gives a dry lubricity and will not attract dirt or dust like oil. The Military uses it for firearm lubrication and protection.

Burt :)

Islander uses lock tight(blue) on the bearings. If your careful, you can tap them out without damaging the bearings. Then do what mike suggested.

Another trick is to tighten the centre nut just enough so that there is little to no play. The screw will be loose so you can wrap some thread on the nut threads to keep it in place. That will probably triple your spin time, if that is what your concerned about. But as long as it starts well when your using it, that is all that matters.

I acyually used a tiny drop of blue lock tight on the thread of the nut and tightened it just enough to eliminate play. I'm not suggesting u do this as there is a lot of room for error.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up returning the reel and exchanging it for a new one and a few extra $. New one spins like a dream and a great deal for under $300. Misfish..thanks for the pm/link...I have some reading to do.:thumbsup_anim:

I've always wondered about this obsession with a reel the spins for 3 hours...

I actually crank the pin down on my reel so it spins SLOWER. Then again, my rig almost never sees a float less than 10g so I don't worry about the start-up.

I actually crank the pin down on my reel so it spins SLOWER. Then again, my rig almost never sees a float less than 10g so I don't worry about the start-up.

If I am not mistaken here kemp. If you tigthen up like you say,does it not make it hard to wallis cast? Fishing a large float, tells me you are fishing heavy waters. I use from 4 to 6.4 so far. I had to go with a larger float do to the fast and rising waters (heavy bulk shot) this past weekend.

I don't need it to spin for hours but this one obviously had a glitch...would spin for about 30sec if I got it going like crazy. start-up was non-existent. my cheapo aventa made the islander look like a piece of junk. new one is comparable in spin time to the aventa but way smoother which I assume will improve with use. now to put it to good use.:Gonefishing:

Why do you run such heavy floats kemper?

Small ones are almost always unnecessary. Even in the slowest and most clear water I've found no noticeable difference in hookups by running a tiny little clear float.

My entire rig is gorilla sized, you will also never see me run lead below 7.5lb, or hooks smaller than a 10 (and even 10's are rare for me)

Must be fast water?

Not always. I like to make it easy for myself, heavy rigs cast far and they cast easy.

If I am not mistaken here kemp. If you tigthen up like you say,does it not make it hard to wallis cast? Fishing a large float, tells me you are fishing heavy waters. I use from 4 to 6.4 so far. I had to go with a larger float do to the fast and rising waters (heavy bulk shot) this past weekend.

I don't mean tight to the point of not spinning, I just mean tighter than spinning for hours on it's own.

In the waters you fish, I still run a 10g float and as much shot as it will handle.

Believe me, you get some funny looks when you sling a 12g rig anywhere out East but they stop as soon as fish start coming to the bank.

I know I sound like a broken record, but these aren't perch we're fishing for. They're big, aggressive, carnivorous, predators. In my experience (limited compared to many here) I've found that any fish I miss out on because of a heavy rig I make up for and then some BECAUSE of the heavy rig once I'm hooked up.

Why do you run such heavy floats kemper?

I fish exactly the same way myself. As I've progressed over the years I've learned that getting your bait where it needs to be is far more important than finesse.

This fall is a perfect case in point. I've purposely been running even bigger and heavier stuff: 12lb main, 10lb fluoro or 8lb Maxima lead, large amounts of shot, big hooks and even bigger baits.

I've really hammered the point home to myself that presentation is what counts with these fish as it's been one of my best falls ever. Stupid numbers, and I've been fishing all over the map.

The biggest mistake most rookies make is not getting down to the fish.

The added bonus of course with heavier rigs is you don't play the fish to exhaustion and casting is exponentially easier.

I fish exactly the same way myself. As I've progressed over the years I've learned that getting your bait where it needs to be is far more important than finesse.

This fall is a perfect case in point. I've purposely been running even bigger and heavier stuff: 12lb main, 10lb fluoro or 8lb Maxima lead, large amounts of shot, big hooks and even bigger baits.

I've really hammered the point home to myself that presentation is what counts with these fish as it's been one of my best falls ever. Stupid numbers, and I've been fishing all over the map.

The biggest mistake most rookies make is not getting down to the fish.

The added bonus of course with heavier rigs is you don't play the fish to exhaustion and casting is exponentially easier.

I think I went to the Mike Borger school of trout fishing