Boat Batteries

Lunker777

Hey everyone

The time is fast approaching ..... Im wondering how I should store my batteries ? take them out of the boat ? leave them in w/ the onboard charger going ? take them out and put a trickle charger on for the winter ?

Whats everyone else's routine ?

I leave them in the boat with the onboard charger plugged in.

OMG.......agree on something....LOL

Actually, I leave my boat plugged in (On-Board Charger) ALL the time I'm not fishing in it....even when I dock it somewhere I run a line to plug it in while not fishing....in the garage while waiting for the next fishing trip AND ALL WINTER LONG while in storage.........my last starting battery lasted 9 years and I only changed it because it was NINE YEARS OLD... :w00t:

Hey everyone

The time is fast approaching ..... Im wondering how I should store my batteries ? take them out of the boat ? leave them in w/ the onboard charger going ? take them out and put a trickle charger on for the winter ?

Whats everyone else's routine ?

There is no absolute rule as to how to handle your batteries for storage. As long as a battery in storage is fully charged and maintained with a charger, not much else matters.

The cold will not harm a battery. A battery can freeze, but the freezing point of the electrolyte is very low. The lower the state of charge, the higher the freezing point of the electyrolyte.

For safety, if your boat has a battery switch it should be turned off, if not then the battery disconnected and your battery charger should be separately connected to the battery(s). The modern battery chargers, which are microporcessor controlled will look after the battery. Read the instructions that come with the battery charger to be sure you can plug it in and forget it. If you are using a simpler, manual battery charger do not leave it powered up nor continuously connected to the battery. Use it periodically, every two to four weeks and you should be okay.

The battery should be clean and dry. Corrosion on the top can actally create an electrical path between the terminals and slowly discharge the battery.

Storing a discharged battery will shorten its life, or kill it permanently. Leaving the battery on board should not make much difference, just be sure your charger will remain safe from the elements, and the battery is also not exposed. Make sure nothing can accidentally fall onto the battery.

You may if you wish, remove the battery(s) from the boat completely, but I really do not know what benefit that has, unless they are not in an enclosed compartment. Just do not neglect the battery during storage.