Need feedback on OKUMA Celilo rods.

hotsky

Just going thru a fishing catalog and noticed Okuma rods specifically a Celilo spinning 8'6" heavy rod 12-25 test line and rated for 1/2- 4oz lure. Right now I have 3 rods all 7ft (one of them is getting a ring fixed and waiting for a replacement on another that I broke in two). I was thinking I could probably use another longer/stronger rod. It supposed to be a salmon rod but I'm looking for something I can use for other fishing as well. If I spool it with heavy braid I was thinking I could try using it for muskie at some point as well as carp, pike and of course salmon. I've never handled one so not sure if I'd even like it or think it's appropriate for those applications after I see it, but what do you guys think?

I never used a baitcaster but been thinking about giving them a try, are they easier to retrieve big baits/lures with? (never thought of that).

Also one thing I noticed is that they all (or most at least) seem to be right hand retrieve. I'm right handed and used to holding the rod with the dominant hand and retrieving with the left why are the casters the opposite?? :dunno:

Just going thru a fishing catalog and noticed Okuma rods specifically a Celilo spinning 8'6" heavy rod 12-25 test line and rated for 1/2- 4oz lure. Right now I have 3 rods all 7ft (one of them is getting a ring fixed and waiting for a replacement on another that I broke in two). I was thinking I could probably use another longer/stronger rod. It supposed to be a salmon rod but I'm looking for something I can use for other fishing as well. If I spool it with heavy braid I was thinking I could try using it for muskie at some point as well as carp, pike and of course salmon. I've never handled one so not sure if I'd even like it or think it's appropriate for those applications after I see it, but what do you guys think?

That rod would work for Musky, as long as you pair it with a 4000 or larger size reel and do not throw baits over 2oz or so. I have a friend who has been very successful casting crank baits for musky with this set up. If you start throwing blades or heavier baits you will need to go to a baitcaster. A lot of companies make lefty baitcasting reels now. The new shimano calcutta d is supposed to be a good reel, but I prefer the TE or the JDM conquest. On the lower end there is the Daiwa Lexa or a little bit more the revo toro NaCL or the older revo toro series.

Personal experience - I have never owned a piece of Okuma gear that didn't turn into dust within a single season.

I will never again buy anything that is made by Okuma. Actually, you couldn't GIVE me gear made by Okuma...

I've hit the water pretty hard over the years. used a bunch of different okuma stuff, never had one turn to dust. That's not to say there haven't been issues, but over all, very happy. Have a few 8 yr old inspira reels that had boated a ton of lake Simcoe smallies and beached a few pier bows over the years. Still work great.

Ran convectors and thier rods for years guiding/fishing on the big water, one broke only because a client sat on it.

have a 13'6 Aventa rod, its ok, I like it. Its not a Sage or loomis, but for 100 bucks its lasted me a few years and it comes out when there is a good chance of a sword fight on a drift.

Of course this is a personal opinion on experience using a variety of their gear. And yes I do sell Okuma, but I used it for 10 or so years before.

Just throwing a second opinion out, biased as it may be, but there are guys who swear by it, espcially on the west coast big waters.

The new stuff is quite sharp.

Edited by Harrison

I have tried to bust up 4 okuma reels for 3 seasons with catfish up to 55 lbs so far no failures or repairs. I especially like the way you can go from free lining to engaged with a fish running that move has toasted may a lesser reel in my past.

Art

walleye rods I have for Okuma are straight up awesome.

I like/love other rods as well, but I've got heavy hours on those rods and no issues at all.

That being said, when it comes to reels, I absolutely love Okuma. I've switched all my rods over to Okuma reels accept for one that has a Stradic on it.

Edited by manitoubass2