Any thoughts on a 2012/2013 Bearcat as a fishing sled

limeyangler

Just looking for input....thinking about it....maybe too heavy?

I am just so torn at the moment.

We only have 2 dealers here in Dryden.....one i refuse to do anymore business with (the $%$#@# really ripped me off once after i spent $12000) and the other one is Artic Cat. I am leaning towards the latter because of warranty work if it needs doing its local.

Edited by limeyangler

Awesome sled!...If money was no object, it is what I would upgrade to. Are you looking at the 570 fan or the Z1 4 stroke? The 4 stroke might be a little heavy but it definitely has the power to compensate for it. The military used them in Petawawa last year and an old army buddy of mine let me drive one last year....beautiful machine. There is a winch kit to mount on the front from Arctic Cat that I would consider if I had the Z1, because if that thing ever gets stuck it would be REALLY stuck.

Awesome sled!...If money was no object, it is what I would upgrade to. Are you looking at the 570 fan or the Z1 4 stroke? The 4 stroke might be a little heavy but it definitely has the power to compensate for it. The military used them in Petawawa last year and an old army buddy of mine let me drive one last year....beautiful machine. There is a winch kit to mount on the front from Arctic Cat that I would consider if I had the Z1, because if that thing ever gets stuck it would be REALLY stuck.

Thanks for the input. Exactly my thoughts on the getting stuck. I have the funds for either model. I am going back to the dealership today to have another look.

Can't speak for Arctic Cat, but

Go to dootalk.com

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/

and get a few opinions on the BRP utility models with the 600 ACE 4 stroke motor. Excellent on fuel, little mainteanance and good cold starting.

Thanks man, actually the other sleds I am considering are the tundra or skandics. Cold starts seem to be a recurring issue in reviews and forum discussions about the Bearcats.

there all heavy when there stuck, 20 inch wide track will float through darn near anything and looking at utilitys weights there all pretty close anyway the 1156cc suzuki engine is bombproof

Ok...with your input ecmilley i am swaying towards getting the big beast again. The reason i am interested in these is because 2 seasons ago we got our quad stuck on the melting snowmachine trail to a lake and a wide track bearcat pulled us out with the quad sitting inside the sleigh....i was impressed.

Thanks man, actually the other sleds I am considering are the tundra or skandics. Cold starts seem to be a recurring issue in reviews and forum discussions about the Bearcats.

If you go to the ACE600 part of dootalk,there is a guy there just outside Whitehorse, Yukon, with an ACE600 Tundra I think. He could probably give you good advice. My own sled is a Renegade ACE600, used one season with no problems in any area. Good luck with what you decide!

The 4 strokes can be a little touchy in the cold, but if your car starts, so will the sled. ;)

I have a 4 stroke Yamaha and live North of 60*. I plug it in just like my truck @ night when I want to use it the next day when the temps are bitter. It always starts no problem when plugged in. It's usually not an issue until night time temps drop below -25C. During the day once it has been run there are no starting issues at all. People I know who use their 4 stroke sleds out at their cabins here plug them in to their generator for an hour in the morning to defrost them to get them running in the morning on cold days.

The fuel savings more than make up for any hassle of having to plug them in though.

Just remember to order the battery tender, battery warmer, block heater package when you purchase a 4 stroke sled.

The 4 strokes can be a little touchy in the cold, but if your car starts, so will the sled. ;)

I have a 4 stroke Yamaha and live North of 60*. I plug it in just like my truck @ night when I want to use it the next day when the temps are bitter. It always starts no problem when plugged in. It's usually not an issue until night time temps drop below -25C. During the day once it has been run there are no starting issues at all. People I know who use their 4 stroke sleds out at their cabins here plug them in to their generator for an hour in the morning to defrost them to get them running in the morning on cold days.

The fuel savings more than make up for any hassle of having to plug them in though.

Just remember to order the battery tender, battery warmer, block heater package when you purchase a 4 stroke sled.

Thanks man.....got a qoute on the block heater and on board charger from dealer...worth it in my opinion

Having been a sled head for a long time I would say and do sey to most people is that the older sleds are the way to go!!

Sleds arnt like cars/boats or even ATV'S.

They are in a class of thier own.

Sinply because they are subjected to extreem temp changes and that afects everything from fuel to timing.

I cant count the amount of times my freinds cant get their sleds going in -30-40.

My piont is that when you buy a sled keep in mind that the faster it goes or the more bells and whistels (technology) the more at risk you are to problems.

Problems arent good at -40 .

Its a major pain in the but . Not only for your friends but you as well.

Keep it simple.

Ccomputers/electronics are bound to fail in extreem conditions(cold/ water/ summer heat?) not to mention the stress put on the frame and supension at -40.

To find a sled that never lets you down is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

After my 40 yeaers of playing in the bush in winter I can say that simple is better.

Not to say that inovations in the sled market arn"t positive. I just dont want to deal with the breakdowns.

So having said that I am not a fan of Cat's but I do like the inovation and Get up and Go Cats bring to the market

Edited by saltydawg