kawartha muskie ?

beertech

The fishing has been a slow lately. It seems like the bite window has been really tight, maybe half hour or so, either around mid day or before sunset. Locate where the fish are and keep throwing at them. They aren't eating often so the key is getting something in front of them when they are hungry.

If you were able to locate fish a month ago they seem to be in the same place. I would run and gun between really good spots and hope to locate a hungry fish, and I would downsize a bit.

The fishing has been a slow lately. It seems like the bite window has been really tight, maybe half hour or so, either around mid day or before sunset. Locate where the fish are and keep throwing at them. They aren't eating often so the key is getting something in front of them when they are hungry.

If you were able to locate fish a month ago they seem to be in the same place. I would run and gun between really good spots and hope to locate a hungry fish, and I would downsize a bit.

Well i didnt really locate any. but a long point that drops from 5-to 30 feet was loaded with baitfish i fished it hard. also a sunken island loaded with baitfish. threw suicks in a 10-12 foot weedflat. guess i will keep trying

Edited by beertech

As always Dan gives a good explanation of our weekend, window is very small and we certainly caught our share. Key when you find one keep going back until they eat, we targeted one for instance three days in a row and got her at 3:30 today - finally.

Technique was downsize not like previous years,where we were throwing pounders. Not sure I would throw suicks we were throwing hose baits a few weeks ago and they seem to lose their karma and we moved to fall baits

Not sure I would throw suicks we were throwing hose baits a few weeks ago and they seem to lose their karma and we moved to fall baits

I've always found Suicks to be excellent fall baits, use weighted versions and work them much slower than you would in the summer.

Did anyone fish muskie in the kawarthas this weekend. Threw everything i had at them not one follow nothing. Wondering if the fishing was poor this weekend or if my hunch was correct and it is me lol.

I was staying at Moon River (actually out in Georgian Bay), but noticed the same thing. Spent all weekend around areas that should have had active fish. Was marking them, etc.,..but no bites...the entire weekend. Only bite I had was at the marina..while waiting for the launch ramp to open. Not sure if it was a Musky or a Pike, but even that hit was different...more of a bump then a slam.

Water temperature on Friday when I arrived was 60 degrees. By the time I left on Monday, it was 53/54. Pretty much dropped at least 2 degrees each day, which was probably part of the issue (for me at least).

I was throwing bucktails of multiple sizes/colours - believers - a storm thunder stick - divers - jigs - tube jigs - rapalas - you name it...I threw it. Trolled fast/trolled slow/got stuck on a rock.

Overall frustrating weekend. Strange thing is that nothing was biting...tried for Bass, etc.

I was staying at Moon River (actually out in Georgian Bay), but noticed the same thing. Spent all weekend around areas that should have had active fish. Was marking them, etc.,..but no bites...the entire weekend. Only bite I had was at the marina..while waiting for the launch ramp to open. Not sure if it was a Musky or a Pike, but even that hit was different...more of a bump then a slam.

Water temperature on Friday when I arrived was 60 degrees. By the time I left on Monday, it was 53/54. Pretty much dropped at least 2 degrees each day, which was probably part of the issue (for me at least).

I was throwing bucktails of multiple sizes/colours - believers - a storm thunder stick - divers - jigs - tube jigs - rapalas - you name it...I threw it. Trolled fast/trolled slow/got stuck on a rock.

Overall frustrating weekend. Strange thing is that nothing was biting...tried for Bass, etc.

Not to hijack the thread, but the Moon bite has been pretty tight for a month or so. I had four days up there recently, and really had to work for anything I caught: same with my pals, and other people we spoke with over the weekend. It can be a fickle place to fish, for sure.

58 Degrees in the areas I was fishing, picked up one musky while fishing for bass. 33 inch fish in about 6 feet of water. I was using a 7 inch YUM Dinger and letting it slowly sink to the bottom. Spent several hours trolling big baits with no luck!

I was on the Trent this past weekend. Sat morning I had a hit on a sledge, couldn't tell if it was a pike or musky. Later that morning I had a blow up in the same bay on a bucktail and it followed to the boat a few feet down, could hardly see it so not sure if it was a pike or musky. Went back that afternoon and caught a 30" pike on a sledge.

Had a pike go crazy on Sunday afternoon. I was casting off the dock with a crankbait and hit weeds and a pike came in HARD right to the dock but saw it was covered in weeds and took off. I yelled to my brother to come down, gave him my sledge and we took the boat out to fish the outside edge of the weedbed. My brother had the pike hit boatside on the figure 8 but didn't get the hooks in it, then a minute later I had it hit my crankbait as I was jerking it but my hookset sent the bait flying out of the water, then finally it hit my brother's sledge, only 28" but it was his first pike. This was all within a span of less than 10 minutes, that was 1 fish that wanted to get caught lol.

Fishing was very hit and miss for us. My brother got his PB walleye (23.5"/4lbs) on a husky jerk, I got 1 walleye jigging a worm (18.5"). Only bass I even saw was a smallmouth that followed a hellhound to the boat.

Other than the walleye, we got nothing on husky jerks. It seemed the pike wanted bigger baits (8-9"), can't say for sure what the musky wanted since I'm not sure what I raised. Had no interest in big (12oz) soft plastics though.

Edited by Dontcryformejanhrdina

I've been out the past 2 weekends on the Kawartha's here. Multiple fish days everyday, including a 48.5", 46", 45", and one that I didn't measure that I would guess was around 45" as well. I've been doing alright fishing deep stuff (15fow+). Look for areas where the bait is stacked and stick with it. The feeding windows have been short, but the action is hot when they do feed.