Ice cleats

lew

Lew I just screw hex head screws into the bottom of my boot. I know you mentioned you don't wanna do this. However I felt I should mention that I had icers and the straps wore through the heel of the rubber coated winter boot I used to use for ice fishing...making them none waterproof and therefore useless for any outdoor activity in the rain or cold. That is why I ended up going the hex head screw route. Most will never ever put the miles or the wear & tear on there boots that I have in the past put I felt I should mention this for anybody thinking of using any type of strap on cleats.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Thanks cuzza, better the straps are too long rather than too short as that'd be an easy fix.

And CPH, you make a good point but I certainly won't be putting on the miles you do, I only do about 1 1/2 miles each morning and the cleats will only be used the odd time the road is ice covered....which was actually quite often last year with all the freezing & melting we had going on.

I haven't had an issue with the straps at all, Lew. I find they work great on everything from my hikers, to waders, to my great big size 14 baffins. Never had them come off, or become uncomfortable. They do add a substantial amount of extra weight to your boots, though. I've had mine for 4 or 5 seasons now with no issues at all, and I put lots of miles on them too. I wear them at work when its slick as well.

I haven't had an issue with the straps at all, Lew. I find they work great on everything from my hikers, to waders, to my great big size 14 baffins. Never had them come off, or become uncomfortable. They do add a substantial amount of extra weight to your boots, though. I've had mine for 4 or 5 seasons now with no issues at all, and I put lots of miles on them too. I wear them at work when its slick as well.

Same experience. I have Baffins as well and use the HT brand. They work, but man are they HEAVY....especially when you walk out on the ice dragging all your gear behind you.

I'd check out the Lee Valley ones (or others) first to see if they are lighter.

OK, thanks Shane, I think I've decided on the HT's after all the positive remarks about them.

I have had the ones from CTC for 2 years now no problems with them at all.They do go on sale for $19.99 once in a while.I paid $29.99 for mine.

Edited by gaspumper

Lew-I sell these.

What are CTC asking ?

link to product

http://amgmedical.com/site/our_products_results.asp?trouv1=735-170

They look similar to the ones in my original post that are sold in LeBarons darsky. If I remember correctly I think they were around $17 but I've looked at so many today the numbers are all starting to run together :lol:

I went to the CTC site and looked at those HT cleats and they look great, but reading the couple reviews available it sounds like there's a problem with the velcro straps not fitting too well.

Any of you HT users have a problem with the straps ??

Hi Lew,

I've been using the HT cleat sandals for a couple of years now and I love them!!..no issues with the straps at all.

http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Product.aspx?category=STABILicers%C2%AE&cat=HLS-OVERSHOE&pid=N5P3S

bessst boots ever! i've had these for 3 years and havent failed me yet. i show up to the lake in my favourite comfy running shoes and i slip these on. sooo light and comfy! feels like all im wearing is my favourite running shoes and they are warm!! ive been out in the -30s with warm feet. and they have removable studs for the slick ice.

I have the ht spikes and they work great I use them on my Baffin boots and the Velcro fits perfect , I tried the machine screws before it works ok but the screws rip out of most boots under strain think they cost me 30 a few years ago and I think they are well worth the money

I work outside a lot of times during winter, after trying several types of ice cleats I find "GRIPONS" work best for me,

They are made out of carbide steel and dig in the ice as soon as you start to slip, they don't wear out as easy as regular steel spikes and are rust proof, you can order replacement studs if needed as well .

spikes if you're walking mostly flat terrain. wider bar cleat style if you do a lot of walking up/down iced inclines.

spikes tend to bend over in whatever the retaining material is where wide bar cleats remain dug in and stable under your foot.