Perch re-spawn?

sneak_e_pete

I thought the same thing early this summer with Lakers full of eggs (since they spawn in late October)... but I guess considering wimmin have eggs all year long and just wait to "spawn"... maybe it's similar in fish! :blush:

Edited by irishfield

I think Mike has this right and I've seen it many times myself on spring spawning fish. Pretty sure they have to start investing resources many months in advance to develop eggs, especially for spring spawners where the "many months" covers the winter, i.e. slower metabolism and reduced intake of food. Some bass that I've eaten have eggs in September...for a May spawn, you do the math.

Interesting to hear Irish relate his experience with lakers which are the exact opposite....egss in spring for a fall spawn. However we all know lakers are coldwater species with relatively low metabolism so I think it all makes sense ultimately.

One other noteworthy fact similar to this is that while electrofishing along the Toronto waterfront with an MNR bio on board it was stated that some fish, in this case Brown Trout, actually will reabsorb their eggs if environmental conditions(or other?) aren't met and the spawning attempt is abandoned.