French River Muskie

bigcreekdad

Hey guys. Im heading up to bryer lodge on the 12 for my first time on the french. I have done some muskie in scugog and the kawarthas but i would like to see some better numbers. Myself and some buddies went to the moon river basin the last two years for 3 days each time and we did not SEE a muskie. I have 2 guys in my boat who have never caught one. I have a cradle, cutters, gloves, and pliers and a small assortment of lures. I was wondering if you guys had any tips on lures or depths that you could help me with? I would like to get these guys on a ski no matter the size. Thank you for your time. Tightlines

THAT'S NOT FAIR ..... I wanna come back up again. :wallbash::wallbash: I seem to be on a bit of a roll.

Ya'll have a great time and I want to see lots of pics of really BIG fish. :clapping:

The three I caught on the North Channel of the French were all on a Double Cow-Girl. Black Skirt and Nickel. Blades. This has been my go-to lure the past two years and is doing quite well for me. All of mine came while fishing cabbage beds - burning the lure over the top.

Best of luck guys - go get 'em

Edited by Rich Clemens

THAT'S NOT FAIR ..... I wanna come back up again. :wallbash::wallbash: I seem to be on a bit of a roll.

Ya'll have a great time and I want to see lots of pics of really BIG fish. :clapping:

The three I caught on the North Channel of the French were all on a Double Cow-Girl. Black Skirt and Nickel. Blades. This has been my go-to lure the past two years and is doing quite well for me. All of mine came while fishing cabbage beds - burning the lure over the top.

Best of luck guys - go get 'em

Rich, how did the weeds look on Wolseley? I have found this time of year that most of the fish up there relate to rock or current this time of year. I have seen fish the cabbage, but non that are aggressive eaters. If there is weed on a rock spot, that is a good sign. I also know that spot where you caught that decent pike. The muskie I have got out of there have all come from the outside of that shoal and around that point that goes into that deep channel between the islands.

Gallie,

Look for pebbled shore lines, and the most diverse structure possible. Everything on the French looks like it should hold muskies, but you really have to pick your spots. Areas that have alot of walleye fisherman on them tend to always hold muskies too... so if you see that, fish it. Shoals, relatively shallow points that project into deep water, sand flats with bowlders and light current areas will be your most productive spots.

I will be at Wolseley tomorrow night... Black Lund Predator 2010ss

Rich, how did the weeds look on Wolseley? I have found this time of year that most of the fish up there relate to rock or current this time of year. I have seen fish the cabbage, but non that are aggressive eaters. If there is weed on a rock spot, that is a good sign. I also know that spot where you caught that decent pike. The muskie I have got out of there have all come from the outside of that shoal and around that point that goes into that deep channel between the islands.

The weeds seem consistent as in past years - at least on the spots that I have fished before. The sand bar at the launch there at Wolseley is less than a foot under the water now, so you have to be careful when launching / loading - and go out around it. Saw more than one boat churn up the sand and mud there.

The only "real" hit that I had, fishing out of Wolseley, came off a small point on an island with a rocky shoal and some weeds around it. Not a big area, but it looked good. Fishing purely cabbage beds (no rocks) - I saw nothing at all that wek. Strange though - I fished the same kind of structure at Rainbow Camp and nailed 3.

I have done some muskie in scugog and the kawarthas but i would like to see some better numbers

got some bad news for you. Kawarthas not uncommon to have a 3 fish day. French not uncommon to have a 3 fish week. Not the place for numbers in my opinion, but a place for bigger fish (ie heavier)

got some bad news for you. Kawarthas not uncommon to have a 3 fish day. French not uncommon to have a 3 fish week. Not the place for numbers in my opinion, but a place for bigger fish (ie heavier)

I would agree here too. I heard the Kawarthas is good if you are looking on quantity. I've heard fish in the 30's/40's are common, but not the really big girls. Never fished the Kawarthas, but I love the Canadian Shield and I'm looking for that elusive 50" - and I know they are up there. One of these years. :angel:

I would like to get a 50 myself, my pb is a 46 out of scugog but im trying to get the other guys a fish each. As long as we get at least 1 it will b worth the trip. Sounds like there will b quite a few boats out there hopefully theres some left : )

I would agree here too. I heard the Kawarthas is good if you are looking on quantity. I've heard fish in the 30's/40's are common, but not the really big girls. Never fished the Kawarthas, but I love the Canadian Shield and I'm looking for that elusive 50" - and I know they are up there. One of these years. angel.png

Yes theres no 50s in the Kawartha's, they have been genetically altered to stop growing at 49 1/2, so you should try the big water and its tributaries that flow into it, and stay off the Kawartha'swhistling.gif

Nice fish!!

I used to catch the odd one up there years ago using a good old classic Mepps Musky Killer in a Blue or Orange blade.

I have found orange to work well on the French. The only lure I troll (when I do, and it's not that often), is a large orange spinner bait....two muskies (largest 43") and a mid 30's pike on it.

I've also had success with a bucker tail....orange blade and black bucktail.