Beginning Musky Fishing

northernpike56

Besides the possible harm to the fish, the biggest problem with useing inappropriate equipment is the wear and tear factor.Most bass/walleye combos dont have the HD gears and Drag components found in big game setups.With the lighter combos, you run the risk of haveing you gear destroyed if you hook a bigger one.

For the few times i fish them each year i have a Compre 7'6" H Fast musky rod and a Convector cv30 for trolling less than 200$

and for casting, a 7' rod of the same specs, with a Shimano Corvalus reel.Again, just under 200$

If i ever start fishing them all the time, i will upgrade, but i get out 2 maybe 3 times a year for now.

Thats the way i see it anyways.:D

The thickness of the mono or floro leader gives you the abbrasion resitance from the teeth. Its not about raw breaking strength. I would recommend the thickest leaders you can afford. 100 pounds minimum. Go with a longer leader than you are used to as well, 18" is the length I use for a floro leader. get teh pre tied ones with good clasps they will last several muskies, before getting too nicked up to work. Dito as above, they protect the fish better than even with coated steel wires.

Even in the south end of Pigeon I have caught a 49" musky so be prepared.

I think your gear is fine for starting out, I would have gone with 50 pound braid at a minimum, 65 even better. If you get the bug you will be using a baitcaster in no time.

IMO a baitcaster gives you a few benefits.

1) Generally more cranking power

2) Generally stronger so it won't break

3) Stronger drag

4) generally more line capacity

5) options of better rods for musky

Things to keep in mind....

Try not to over play a musky. Your goal should be to have it released asap after hooking it. Be prepared to have it run under the boat. Be CAREFUL with teeth and hooks, in the panic of having a musky in the boat its very easy to get yourself hooked or bit.

Preperation is critical for the fish and yourself

This means having your camera ready to go,

Your partners informed what to do, camera, pliers, cutters, netman etc...

Your net ready to go(bigger the better, a craddle is relatively cheap and will suffice as long as you have two people, they also take up less room in the boat.

I started musky fishing with a heavy action spinning outfit and I landed mmany musky on that setup before moving to a baitcaster setup. If you are prepared, organized and informed the gear you have should be fine.

I made lots of mistakes when I started musky fishing as do many, but listen to the advice people give you and you should be fine.... here is a little video we shot when we caugth a musky, as you can hear near the end panic ensued even though we had fished musky many times and had all the gear... we were not totally ready but everything worked out well and when it came down to it, the camera was dropped on purpose to get the big net... :) BTW that rod as you can see is fully stressed and its an XH Musky rod. this is from pigeon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3axhkz8WgCE

Just put your reel on freespool while you take the hooks out. Sometimes you can unhook the lure from the leader. I have never felt a need to cut the line. Seeing as if you catch a musky it will be your first make sure you take a big breath and organize yourself before you unhook the fish, but only if your net is long enough to keep the fish in the water. On a few occasions I have sent my fishing partner to the back of the boat while I unhooked the fish, as he was just too excited to safely handle the fish. If you can watch some videos about unhooking musky before your trip.

Also if you release the fish and it does not go straight down, make sure to stick around. Sometimes a fish will stay along the surface and will need to be revived for a longer period of time. If it cannot dive down it could be hit by a boat.

I will be using my pier fishing/salmon net, which is rubber coated, and quite big (appx 3' diameter). If/when I do catch a muskie, should I cut the line before attempting to unhook it, just to get the rod out of the way and have less line to get tangled? Does anybody do this?

This is a great idea until you are accustomed to de-hooking and releasing these beasts. Taking an extra few seconds to retie might save a minute or two in net tangles.

Don't be afraid to cut hooks; for your safety and the health of the fish. I've often just cut the split ring and been able to retrieve the hook afterwards. I always have a good assortment with me for this reason.

Fluoro leaders: I use 80lb and tie them myself. I use a 48" leader for trolling and when they get roughed up, I cut them down and retie for casting to about 18". It's hard to find a long steel leader plus you get the benefit of being easier on the fish. They'll roll up in them pretty good.

nothing wrong with steel leaders if that's what you have, they are more bite proof than 500# fluoro.

Long 3' plus steel leaders for trolling are pretty hard on Muskies. We experienced a Muskie on LOTW's that hit a Legend perch bait with a steel leader and it rolled in the line. Let's just say the steel leader was not kind to the scales,it was replaced with a fluoro leader and has been retired.

That said, 12" single strand are always on my casting rods.

Roaring Dan and Dax have it - cut the hooks on the lure and in the fish and Put your reel in freespool - take a few breaths and release the fish. Roaring Dan as greatest Net man I know should be listened too.

Pigeon is tough if you find a deep weed bank dont get stuck like a bass fisherman and go to shore and fish the structure you see, they will be in the weeds or edge