Temagami Trip

LucG

A few of us from work are heading on a fishing trip and renting a house boat on temagami next week. We are going to bring a few boats to tow along and hope for good weather.

We will prob be mainly going for lakers and walleye, but I'm sure I'll end up chasing some bass and pike too!

Does anyone have any tips for this large body of water? Is early september an ideal time to go?

Also, has anyone rented from Three Buoys House boats before, any reviews?

Thanks, and I'll post a report when I get back.

Edited by LucG

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got back from my trip on Temagami, and being it was the first time on the lake, it proved to be more difficult than I though. With the water being so clear, it seemed any quality fish were hiding in the deeper depths.

Every morning was spent searching for that tank smallie, allthough I caught many bass, I dont think one of them was over 2 lbs. I found alot of them in as much as 40 FOW, usually around schools of baitfish.

The afternoons were spent trolling for lake trout. This was a new specie and a new technic for me. We use big rods with line counters, spooled with 30lbs steel wire. On the end of that was a heavy flurocarbon leader and a spoon. We would pull up to our location, let out 30 ft of line by hand, then accelerated with the motor, while letting out over 500 ft of line to reach the depth of around 70 FOW. Then, while trolling, a continous snapping motion of the rod seemed to trigger the bites. We nearly caught one on every pass. We had lakers for dinner every night!

I aslo attempted to find some walleyes in the evenings, which proved a little difficult, with only a small handful of little fish being caught.

Over all, I can't wait till next year, but being that I live fairly close, I may have to make it once more this year.

PARTY BARGE!

dsc04366mf.jpg

UPPER DECK

dsc04370o.jpg

dsc04369fl.jpg

dsc04372ew.jpg

LAKERS ON THE Q

dsc04374c.jpg

Nice report, man! Those are some nice and tasty-looking lakers.

I have only been on Temagami once this year, but it wasn't to fish :( (I played a small show on Bear Island). I'd love to try fishing it but it's a bit of a big lake for my Sportspal, really.

Wow must have missed this or I would have sent you some notes.

Glad you had a good time. Smallies are in abundance on that lake and yes they tend to go deeper as they get bigger. I've hit some tanks jigging for lakers on rock shoals in 40-50 ft.

Thanks for the shots especially that second one. I haven't been up in the summer for 2 years now due to work and baseball but that shot made me feel like I was back on the lake. A quick fly by Ket-chun-eny and then scoot right up into Kokoko.

4 weeks to mooose hunt

Wow must have missed this or I would have sent you some notes.

Glad you had a good time. Smallies are in abundance on that lake and yes they tend to go deeper as they get bigger. I've hit some tanks jigging for lakers on rock shoals in 40-50 ft.

Thanks for the shots especially that second one. I haven't been up in the summer for 2 years now due to work and baseball but that shot made me feel like I was back on the lake. A quick fly by Ket-chun-eny and then scoot right up into Kokoko.

4 weeks to mooose hunt

We had the Houseboat anchored right in front of Ket-chun-eny. I found an old rock crib near by that had an abundance of smallies on it!

That would be Fridays point if it was to the north of KL or the cribs if it was just south of KL. to get right into kokomo lake you'll need to drag your boat as the little outflow going into Kokoko bay if jammed packed with log jams and rocks. The upper part of Kokoko bay can be very good